Heather Watson edged past Taiwan’s Chang Kai-chen in a marathon final at the Japan Open yesterday to become the first Briton in 24 years to win a WTA title.
The 20-year-old, in her first WTA final, squandered one match point while leading by one set and hit a double fault on 5-4. She had to save four match points in the final set, before winning 7-5, 5-7, 7-6 (7/4) after a match lasting 3 hours, 11 minutes.
However, Watson failed to achieve a twin triumph when she and Japan’s Kimiko Date-Krumm lost the doubles final to top seeds Raquel Kops-Jones and Abigail Spears of the US 1-6, 4-6.
“I was in the changing room afterwards, changing my clothes, and I thought to myself: ‘Did I really win?’ So it’s just starting to settle in,” Watson said. “I’ve worked so hard for this moment my whole career — that’s why I practiced so hard, ran all those miles and lifted all those weights, for moments like this. Britain has been breaking quite a few records recently, so I’m happy I could break another one today. I’m proud to do this for my country.”
Watson said Chang was “an amazing returner, so I wanted to go for it. What I’ve learned from my coaches is to go for it and not hope they miss.”
“As you get better and play the top girls, you’ve got to go for it because they won’t give it to you. So I went for it and I don’t regret it [double fault on her first match point],” she said. “Though if I had lost the match I probably would have regretted it, but I ended up winning the match, so I’ll get over it.”
Watson is the first Briton to win a WTA title since Sara Gomer in Aptos, California, back in 1988.
For 22 years no Briton had even reached a WTA final until Laura Robson broke the drought with her run to the final at Guangzhou Open in China last month where she lost to Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei.
When asked about her performance, Chang said: “I give myself 90 out of 100 points for my performance since the first match here. I’m quite satisfied. Perhaps I was more mature and knew what to do on court. My brother made a lot of changes in my training schedule, which helped me improve a lot, both technically and psychologically.”
AP, LINZ, Austria
Top-ranked Victoria Azarenka reached her ninth final of the season on Saturday, as she got ready to fave Julia Goerges for the title at the Generali Ladies.
In the semi-finals, Azarenka beat Irina-Camelia Begu of Romania 6-2, 6-1, while Goerges rallied to defeat Kirsten Flipkens of Belgium 1-6, 6-2, 6-3.
“Julia is a very tough opponent,” Azarenka said. “She feels well here in Linz and had some very good wins this week. It is a final, so everything can happen. I’ll have to be at my best.”
Azarenka, a winner of five events this year, including the Australian Open, is 3-1 against Goerges and she has never dropped a set against the German.
Azarenka’s only defeat came in Stuttgart, Germeny, last year when she pulled out with a shoulder injury after winning the opening set. Goerges went on to win that event, the most recent of her two career titles. She also won in Bad Gastein, Austria, in 2010.
“Obviously, I am the underdog, she is the world No. 1,” Goerges said. “I will try to play my own game, focus on myself and show her how dangerous my game can be.”
Azarenka is on a winning streak of 12 matches and she is yet to concede a set. She won in Beijing the previous weekend for her 12th career title and pulled out before the quarter-finals in Tokyo the week before. In Linz, she has not dropped more than two games in any set.
Early in her semi-final against Begu, Azarenka produced some unusual mistakes and dropped her opening service game, before cruising to victory.
“Her tennis was hard to judge, she played many different shots,” Azarenka said. “I was playing well, had a few mistakes here and there, but overall it was a good performance.”
The 19th-ranked Goerges, who also reached the final in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, in February, dropped serve three times and double-faulted on set point against Flipkens. She settled with an early break in the second and dominated the rest of the match.
“She served well, so it was hard to get into the match,” Goerges said. “I am happy I managed to find my game in the second set and win the match.”
Additional reporting by CNA
A businessman who received millions of dollars for his work on Tokyo’s successful campaign to host the 2020 Olympic Games has said that he played a key role in securing the support of a former Olympics powerbroker suspected by French prosecutors of taking bribes to help Japan’s bid. Haruyuki Takahashi, a former executive at the advertising agency Dentsu, was paid US$8.2 million by the committee that spearheaded Tokyo’s bid for the 2020 Games, financial records showed. Takahashi said the work included lobbying International Olympic Committee (IOC) members such as Lamine Diack, the ex-Olympics powerbroker, and that he gave Diack gifts, including digital
For many in Japan, the postponement of the Olympic Games is a heartbreaking necessity, but for a small and motley crew opposed to the Games altogether, it does not go far enough. “Damn it — we absolutely reject postponement. The Olympics should be canceled and abolished,” an umbrella group of anti-Games advocates wrote on Twitter after the historic delay to this year’s Olympics was announced. Just minutes before Tuesday’s dramatic decision, triggered by the COVID-19 pandemic, a handful of protesters gathered in central Tokyo to hold one of their regular demonstrations against the Games. “We’ve been doing a monthly rally for various reasons.
If British industry succeeds in saving lives during the COVID-19 pandemic, it would in part be thanks to the pioneering role played by Formula One (F1) racing teams in the country. Seven of F1’s 10 teams have joined forces with leading aerospace and engineering firms to ramp up production of ventilators, while Mercedes has also worked with medics and academics to produce an alternative breathing aid. Normally obsessed with improving the performance of cars that race at more than 320kph, the teams are stripping back lifesaving devices and using computer simulation to test whether more simplified models can be mass produced. The seven
STILL MAJOR: Next month’s draft is to be televised, but the clubs are to conduct procedures with only a limited number of people present, the NFL commissioner said An NFL draft handled remotely because of the coronavirus pandemic is the latest twist to an event that has become as popular as any professional football happening, short of the NFL Super Bowl. On Thursday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell alerted NFL teams in a memo that the dates of this year’s draft are to remain April 23 to 25, and the eight owners who comprise the NFL Management Council Executive Committee unanimously endorsed moving forward as planned. So next month’s draft, originally set for Las Vegas, is to have a pretty much spartan look. “All clubs should now be doing the necessary planning