Brazil hit Iraq, coached by former Brazil great Zico, for six in the two countries’ first ever full international meeting on Thursday.
After a lovely through ball from Neymar, Chelsea midfielder Oscar scored in the 21st minute at the Swedbank Stadion in Malmo, Sweden. He then made it 2-0 five minutes later.
Real Madrid’s Kaka putting the South American giants further ahead shortly after the restart.
Russian-based Hulk added Brazil’s fourth just before the hour mark with Santos striker Neymar and Lucas, set to join big-spending French side Paris Saint-Germain in January, completing the 6-0 rout.
Iraq rarely threatened, with only Younis Mahmood twice going close in the second half and Humadi Ahmad causing concern for goalkeeper Diego Alves in added-time.
Zico substituted five players in the second half in an attempt to lift his team. However, his decision to remove the experienced Mahmoud surprised the largely Iraq-supporting crowd.
“If we had lost 6-0 to Iceland I would have been worried, but losing to Brazil was not a problem,’’ Zico said.
“We did well. We scored six goals, that says it all,’’ Brazil coach Mano Menezes said, adding that Iraq goalkeeper Noor Sabri “was one of the best players tonight, he made some fabulous saves.’’
Kaka was involved for the first time since Brazil were beaten in the quarter-finals at the 2010 World Cup by the Netherlands.
“I feel great and I am happy to be back in the national squad, to be playing with young players,” Kaka said.
Iraq turned to Sweden to stage the game after world body FIFA refused to allow them to play home matches following a chaotic match against Jordan in the city of Erbil, capital of the Iraqi region of Kurdistan.
The sound of drums — not samba, but Arabic — dominated the stadium in Sweden’s third largest city. More than 14,000 tickets were sold for a friendly that was mostly attended by Iraqis living in the Scandinavian country.
Malmo is one of its most ethnically diverse cities, with 40 percent of residents being first or second generation immigrants.
Iraq were keen to meet some top-drawer opponents as they gear up for their World Cup qualifier against Australia in Doha on Tuesday.
Brazil fitted the bill nicely, particularly as they were otherwise free in an international week having already qualified as hosts for 2014.
The Auriverde won an August friendly 3-0 against Sweden in Malmo.
They also lifted their first World Cup in 1958 at the Rasunda stadium in nearby Solna.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Friday said that he had called in the “third umpire” as he announced that recreational cricket would be allowed to resume next weekend. In a radio interview earlier on Friday, Johnson angered thousands of club cricketers by saying that the amateur game was still not safe to play amid the COVID-19 pandemic because of issues surrounding communal teas and dressing rooms. “It’s the teas, it’s the changing rooms and so on and so forth. There are other factors involved that generate proximity which you might not get in a game of tennis,” he said. Johnson had already
Hong Kong media reported that police briefly detained a man in a Liverpool team jersey who shouted “long live Liverpool” during anti-government protests on Wednesday, over suspicion that he was inciting independence. In-Media reported that the man was across the street from police officers who were conducting stop-and-searches on a group of protesters, when he shouted: “Long live Liverpool.” Others reportedly cheered and joined in the chant, before officers detained him. The man told In-Media that police had accused him of inciting Hong Kong independence, which now is a punishable crime. He said that he has been a fan of the English soccer
Raptors guard Fred VanVleet is already in Florida with the rest of his Toronto teammates, and he knows the time to take a stand and counter the NBA plan to restart the season has passed, but his opinion on the matter has not changed. “It sucks,” VanVleet said on Monday in a videoconference of his choice to return to the court during the COVID-19 pandemic and Black Lives Matter campaign. “It’s terrible timing, but that’s been 2020 for us. We all know the right thing to do is to not play, to take a stand. Morally, yes, that makes sense, but
Legendary batsman Everton Weekes, the last of the famed West Indies “Three Ws,” died on Wednesday at the age of 95 and was hailed as “a founding father” of the sport in the Caribbean. “Our hearts are heavy as we mourn the loss of an icon. A legend, our hero, Sir Everton Weekes,” Cricket West Indies (CWI) wrote on Twitter. “Our condolences go out to his family, friends and many fans around the world. May he rest in peace.” Barbadian Weekes was part of a feared post-World War II West Indies team who also featured Clyde Walcott and Frank Worrell. Walcott died in