Trott’s hand not broken
England will make a last-minute decision over the fitness of Jonathan Trott after scans showed the batsman did not fracture his hand in Sunday’s one-day victory over South Africa. Trott, England’s number three, suffered a painful blow to his right hand after being hit by a short ball from Dale Steyn during his side’s six-wicket win at Lord’s. With the 31-year-old showing obvious signs of discomfort during a century stand with Ian Bell, there were fears Trott might have broken bones. That would have forced England, who lead the series 2-1, to call up a replacement for the fifth and final one-day international at Trent Bridge on Wednesday. However, an England and Wales Cricket Board update on Monday revealed there was no break and Trott and the team’s medical staff will wait 24 hours before deciding if he is fit to feature against the Proteas.
Hernandez bolsters Pumas
Argentina have been bolstered by the return of first choice fly-half Juan Martin Hernandez and flanker Juan Manuel Leguizamon for Saturday’s Rugby Championship Test against the All Blacks. The return of Hernandez and the inclusion of 35-Test openside flanker Leguizamon are the only changes to the Pumas side that drew with South Africa 16-16 in Mendoza two weeks ago. Playmaker Hernandez, who was a late withdrawal from that match because of a hamstring injury, replaces Bordeaux’s Nicolas Sanchez and Leguizamon comes in the side for Alvaro Galindo. Argentina are being assisted in their preparations for this match by former All Blacks coach Graham Henry who is helping with the development of Argentine rugby.
Pakistan complains to ICC
The Pakistan Cricket Board has conveyed its concern to the International Cricket Council (ICC) over the omission of off-break bowler Saeed Ajmal from the shortlist of nominees for the annual ICC awards. Having been named in the ICC’s Test team of the year, Ajmal missed the shortlist of nominees for the international, Test and one-day international player of the year awards. The PCB said its concern was related to the Test award. “We have conveyed our concern to the ICC on the Ajmal issue and we hope they will reconsider his name for the final list of awards,” PCB spokesman Nadeem Sarwar said. Ajmal, 34, was the leading wicket-taker in Tests in the 12-month award period, taking 74 wickets, and was also highly placed in the one-day international rankings. Hashim Amla and Vernon Philander (South Africa), Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka) and Michael Clarke (Australia) were nominated for the Test award.
Fenerbahce sign Meireles
Turkish club Fenerbahce signed midfielder Raul Meireles from Chelsea on a four-year contract, Turkish media reports said on Monday, hours after the club said it had started negotiations to buy him. No further details were available and there was no immediate confirmation from Fenerbahce, who announced the negotiations in a statement to the Istanbul Stock Exchange earlier on Monday. The 29-year-old, who has played more than 60 times for Portugal, was signed by Chelsea on a four-year contract from Premier League rivals Liverpool last year. The Istanbul club, runners-up to Galatasaray last season in Turkey’s Super League, have been looking to bolster their midfield after Emre Belozoglu left for Atletico Madrid on a free transfer earlier this year.