Tue, Aug 21, 2012 - Page 18 News List

Titleholders City rally to beat Saints

‘DEJA VU’:Manchester City fought back from 2-1 down to beat Southampton, while Champions League winners Chelsea scored twice in the first seven minutes at Wigan


Chelsea’s Fernando Torres, left, shoots past Wigan Athletic goalkeeper Ali al-Habsi in their Premier League match at the DW Stadium in Wigan, England, on Sunday.

Photo: Reuters

Manchester City fought back after a second-half collapse against Southampton to open their title defense with a 3-2 victory against the Premier League newcomers on Sunday.

Substitutes Rickie Lambert and Steven Davis put a dogged Saints 2-1 in front, wiping out Carlos Tevez’s opener for City, but Samir Nasri spared City from an upset by scoring an 80th-minute winner following Edin Dzeko’s equalizer.

“We showed great character,” Nasri told Sky Sports television. “We didn’t panic.”

Chelsea had no such trouble overcoming Wigan Athletic in Sunday’s other match.

New signing Eden Hazard made an immediate impact, setting up Branislav Ivanovic’s opener and winning the penalty from which Frank Lampard converted to clinch a 2-0 victory.

For City, the new season picked up where the last one ended for pulsating drama at the Etihad Stadium. A 3-2 victory in May against Queens Park Rangers — secured in the final seconds — ended City’s 44-year title drought.

“It was like the last game of the season, we’ve started the same and I hope at the end it will be the same result for us,” Nasri said.

Although City did not leave it until stoppage-time on Sunday to produce the winner, manager Roberto Mancini hopes every game will not be as tough.

“It is important to have this character, it is better the next time to close the game,” Mancini said. “We had too many chances to close the game — we didn’t.”

City had to cope without Sergio Aguero from the 14th minute after last season’s top scorer fell awkwardly following Nathaniel Clyne’s challenge. The Argentina striker went to hospital for a scan on his injured knee, but the results will not be known until today.

City’s fortunes did not improve after Aguero’s injury. Even though Tevez won a penalty two minutes later, after falling to the ground under Jos Hooiveld’s challenge, David Silva’s tame spot-kick was easily saved by Kelvin Davis.

Tevez found the target five minutes before halftime. He was fed through by Nasri, sneaking in front of Joe Fonte, before sending the ball into the net at Davis’ near post.

City squandered chances to extend their lead after the break, with Gael Clichy sweeping the ball over and David Silva hitting the crossbar.

City were made to pay for those misses when Lambert, last season’s top scorer in the second tier, scored his first top-flight goal. Four minutes after coming off the bench, Lambert seized on confusion in the City defense and Joleon Lescott’s missed clearance to side-foot the ball past goalkeeper Joe Hart.

Another substitute also quickly delivered. Steven Davis had been on the pitch only three minutes when he buried the ball into the bottom corner of the net in the 68th minute after City debutant Jack Rodwell had lost possession.

However, City recovered from their sloppiness, with Dzeko blasting in the equalizer four minutes later.

Nasri secured the three points after Southampton fullback Danny Fox inadvertently headed the ball to the France midfielder, who was booked for lifting his jersey in the goal celebration to reveal a T-shirt with the “Eid Mubarak” greeting to mark the end of Ramadan.

“We deserved to win the game,” Mancini said. “They didn’t have any chances in the first half and we had four or five incredible chances.”

Chelsea made a surging start at Wigan following their tepid league campaign last year in which they finished sixth, but made amends by winning the Champions League and FA Cup.

This story has been viewed 1736 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top