Wed, Aug 15, 2012 - Page 18 News List

Pietersen pays price for emotional gestures

AFP, LONDON

From the moment Kevin Pietersen walked out on South African cricket in protest at their selection policy it was clear the batsman’s sublime skills would often be overshadowed by his penchant for emotional gestures generated by self-interest.

Now that dangerously narcissistic element of Pietersen’s personality, which has landed him in hot water so many times in his troubled career, has come back to haunt him again in spectacular fashion.

Pietersen is by far England’s most naturally gifted strokemaker, but his international career lies in tatters after a dramatic week that started with allegations that he sent text messages to South African players containing derogatory comments about England captain Andrew Strauss and coach Andy Flower.

The 32-year-old, who had just scored a superb century in the drawn second Test against South Africa at Headingley, followed that bombshell by claiming he was ready to walk away from the sport because of what he perceived as problems in the England squad that he said “made it hard being me.”

Then, with speculation increasing that he would be dropped when the third Test squad was named on Sunday, the saga took a bizarre twist when Pietersen posted a video on YouTube on Saturday in which he claimed he was now ready to play in all forms of international cricket, having previously opted out of limited-overs action.

That seems to have been a misguided attempt to curry favor with the public when his fate was already sealed, because just 24 hours later the England selectors confirmed that Pietersen had been axed.

Pietersen’s refusal to follow the team-first ethos that Strauss and Flower have been so determined to implement eventually proved too much for the selectors and even some of his teammates.

The texting allegations played a significant role, as such blatant criticism was a clear challenge to the England hierarchy.

“It was agreed that a number of actions needed to be completed to re-engage Kevin within the England dressing room. A fundamental item was to confirm publicly that no derogatory texts had been sent by Kevin to the South African team. This has not been forthcoming,” England Cricket managing director Hugh Morris said.

“The success of the England team has been built on a unity of purpose and trust. Whilst we have made every attempt to find a solution to enable Kevin to be selected we have sadly had to conclude that, in the best interest of the team, he will miss the Lord’s Test,” Morris added.

Pietersen’s attempt to run roughshod over a tough customer like Flower, who once wore a black armband in a World Cup match to protest against the policies of Zimbabwe’s government, led by notorious Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, has backfired in stunning fashion.

For Pietersen to somehow salvage his England career now, the Surrey star — who responded to the decision by insisting he remains available for selection — will have to change the habit of a lifetime and bow down to the authorities.

After leaving South Africa in protest against the quota selection system that he feared would kill his international career, Pietersen pursued a career in England and trouble was never far away.

He left Nottinghamshire, his first English county, under a cloud after threatening to sue for unfair dismissal, even though they insisted he had not been sacked.

This story has been viewed 1431 times.
TOP top