Nine thousand enter US Open
The fourth-most entrants in US Open history, a total of 9,006 golfers, have been accepted for this year’s tournament qualifying, the US Golf Association (USGA) announced on Thursday. Tiger Woods, defending champion Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland and English stars Luke Donald and Lee Westwood are among 53 golfers who automatically qualified for the year’s second major from June 14 to 17 at The Olympic Club in San Francisco. Also included on that list are South Koreans K.J. Choi and Yang Yong-eun, Masters winner Bubba Watson, US star Phil Mickelson, South Africa’s Louis Oosthuizen and Australia’s Adam Scott and Jason Day. A total of 801 entries were received from 72 nations beyond US borders. The record 9,086 entries were submitted for the 2009 US Open at Bethpage Black in New York.
Guardiola quits Barcelona
Barcelona’s most successful manager, Pep Guardiola, will walk away from the Catalans at the end of the season and will be replaced by his assistant Tito Vilanova, the club announced yesterday. Guardiola’s decision to quit and recharge his batteries ends a remarkable trophy-laden four-year spell built on a passing style of unmatched fluidity and control. “I’m sorry for the confusion in recent weeks. I’ve always wanted short contracts, because the demands at Barcelona are so big,” the 41-year-old told a news conference at the Camp Nou with players present in the audience. “Now we were out of the two main competitions, it was a good time to announce it. The reason is simple. Four years, that gets everyone tired. The new coach will give things that I can’t give anymore.”
Majola faces criminal probe
Suspended Cricket South Africa (CSA) chief executive Gerald Majola faces a criminal probe and a civil claim for the repayment of illegal bonuses allegedly paid to him by the Indian Premier League (IPL). “A civil process will be launched by CSA … The Hawks [South Africa’s Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation] have also been to CSA and are in the process of their investigation,” South African Minister of Sport and Recreation Fikile Mbalula told reporters. Judge Chris Nicholson announced last month that Majola had “surreptitiously” received 1.8 million rand (US$231,200) in unauthorized bonuses from the IPL, as well as irregular travel expenses, in contravention of the Companies Act. Nicholson recommended that Majola be suspended, the bonus money be recovered and that CSA undergo restructuring of their board and governance processes.
Gregan joins ARU board
Five years after retiring as Australia’s most-capped Test player, George Gregan will join the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) board of directors as a nominee of the players association. The former halfback, who played 139 Tests for the Wallabies, which included four World Cup tournaments, will replace Mark Connors. Connors was elected to the board in 2007, the same year that Gregan retired. On Friday, the ARU also announced following its annual general meeting that retired military General Peter Cosgrove and former Australian minister for sport Mark Arbib would lead a review into the ARU’s corporate governance. It also said ARU chairman Peter McGrath had stood down and that former Wallaby Michael Hawker had been elected to that position.
Championship draw made