Fri, Apr 20, 2012 - Page 19 News List

Nadal passes test, Djokovic sweeps by

SORE KNEE:The former world No. 1, who hasn’t won a trophy in 10 months, shrugged off knee problems as he turned in what he described as a regular performance

AFP, MONTE CARLO

Spain’s Rafael Nadal serves to Finland’s Jarkko Nieminen at the Monte Carlo ATP Masters Series Tournament in Monaco on Wednesday.

Photo: AFP

Rafael Nadal emerged a 6-4, 6-3 winner over Jarkko Nieminen with no obvious discomfort to his troublesome left knee as the Spaniard began his quest for a record eighth title at the Monte Carlo Masters.

Nadal, now 40-1 at the venue where he only lost a match in 2003, won his 38th straight match in the principality as he overcame stubborn resistance from the 48th-ranked Finn, who claimed the Sydney title in January.

Nadal, who required two weeks of knee treatment after failing to play his Miami semi-final match because of knee pain last month, has not lifted a trophy since the French Open 10 months ago.

“I played a really normal match, nothing special — nothing very bad, but nothing very good,” said Nadal, who was to face Kazakh qualifier Mikhail Kukushkin yesterday. “It was the first match on clay after a long time, and the first match after 15 days without touching a racket.”

“The important thing was that I won in straight sets. Tomorrow, I have another chance to keep improving, and that’s what I’m going to try,” Nadal said. “You need days to see how all the sensations improve — the knees, the tennis, everything. When you stop for 15 days without practice, your body loses a little bit of the performance.”

The second seed joined world No. 1 Novak Djokovic in moving through a clay-season opener in straight sets on a cloudy day on the Mediterranean coast.

Djokovic began with a 6-1, 6-4, victory over Andreas Seppi, taking a 5-0 lead over the 44th-ranked Italian and breaking for an early lead in the second set on the way to his seventh win in their series of encounters.

“I served really well when I needed to,” Djokovic said. “That’s encouraging for the clay, it’s good to have a couple of free points there.”

“I was really focused first set and played it well against a tough, quality opponent who plays good on clay. For the first official match since Roland Garros last year, it was satisfying,” he said.

The top seed will next play 16th-seeded Ukrainian Alexandr Dolgopolov, who put out new Monte Carlo resident Bernard Tomic of Australia 6-2, 5-7, 6-1.

“He’s a very talented player, comes up with some shots that are not really typical,” Djokovic said of Dolgopolov. “He changes the pace and is very dangerous on clay. I need to be aware and disciplined on the court. I need to try not to be frustrated with the rhythm that he comes up with.”

There was a shock for fifth seed David Ferrer as the Spaniard went down to Thomaz Bellucci of Brazil 6-3, 6-2.

No. 6 seed Tomas Berdych -dismissed Croatian Marin Cilic 7-6 (7/3), 6-1, with Serb No. 7 Janko Tipsarevic advancing over Spain’s Albert Montanes 6-2, 6-3.

No. 8 seed Nicolas Almagro beat Italian Potito Starace 7-6 (7/3), 6-1, while No. 9 seed Frenchman Gilles Simon won a match that began at 10:30am, beating Frederico Gil of Portugal 6-3, 6-0.

Julien Benneteau registered another French win as he put out last year’s semi-finalist and 15th seed Jurgen Melzer of Austria 6-4, 6-3. Benneteau tackles British third seed Andy Murray in the next round.

Kukushkin booked his date with Nadal by beating Italy’s Filippo Volandri 7-6 (10/8), 2-6, 6-2 and Switzerland’s Stanislas Wawrinka beat Pablo Andujar, the champion in Casablanca, Morocco, on Sunday, 7-5, 6-3.

This story has been viewed 1825 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top