Wed, Feb 29, 2012 - Page 19 News List

Kenseth wins incident-packed Daytona 500

Reuters, Daytona Beach, Florida

Marshalls attempt to put out a fire that erupted from a jet dryer after it was hit by a Chevrolet driven by Juan Pablo Montoya of Colombia in the 54th Daytona 500 race at the Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida, on Monday.

Photo: Reuters

After lengthy rain delays and a freak fuel fire accident, Matt Kenseth emerged as the Daytona 500 champion on Monday, holding off Dale Earnhardt Jr on the final lap to win an incident-packed race under floodlights.

Kenseth, in a Ford, was helped by his Roush Fenway teammate Greg Biffle, who delayed Earnhardt’s charge in the NASCAR season opener before he was eventually passed and crossed the line in third place.

“I have to thank Greg, we worked together really good all day long. He had a really fast car all day as well,” Kenseth told reporters.

The victory was Kenseth’s second in the race following his 2009 triumph and it was the sixth time in the past eight years that the 500 has ended with a green-white checker finish that added two extra laps.

After several cars crashed on the 188th lap, damaging the vehicles of pre-race favorites Carl Edwards and Tony Stewart, allowing Kenseth to grab firm grip on the race.

Earnhardt, the 2004 Daytona winner, made a real push to forge ahead on the final lap, but he could not find the space to get past Kenseth, who had struggled in the early stages of the race.

“We had a lot of problems and almost ended up a lap down. The guys did a great job though, they never panicked and I think they enjoyed the day more because they couldn’t hear me on the radio with my radio problems,” Kenseth said.

The race was postponed from Sunday due to rain and then for a further seven hours on Monday and it finished at almost 1am.

It was the first time NASCAR’s premier event was run at night and not on a Sunday afternoon.

A spectacular fire also delayed proceedings when Colombian Juan Pablo Montoya hit a jet-dryer truck, carrying a fuel tank, causing a large explosion and resulting in a 2 hour, 5 minute delay while the course was cleared for the final 40 laps.

However, the thousands of fans who sat through all the frustrating delays were rewarded by an exciting race which was still up for grabs until the very end.

The race began in chaotic fashion with a mass collision on just the second lap, ending the hopes of some of the biggest names on the circuit.

Five-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson and debutant Danica Patrick were involved in the five-car incident.

The accident happened when Elliott Sadler pushed into the back of Johnson, who spun round with chaotic results in the tightly packed field.

Patrick, just the third woman to compete in the “Great American Race,” was caught in the backwash.

She returned to the garage to repair the damage after her third crash of the week and rejoined on lap 66 to go through the formality of finishing the race.

Johnson, who won the 500 in 2006, was unable to get back on the track and was reduced to the role of frustrated spectator.

Last year’s winner Trevor Bayne, Kurt Busch and David Ragan also went off the track and the latter was seething over the early incident.

“It is ridiculous to sit around this long for the Daytona and on the very first lap for someone to be driving as reckless as whoever caused that, someone had to cause it,” Ragan said.“It is just a shame for it to be that early in the biggest race ... I can’t wait to see who was the bonehead that did that.”

This story has been viewed 1630 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top