Cabaye charged by the FA
France midfielder Yohan Cabaye has been charged with violent conduct following an incident during Premier League side Newcastle United’s FA Cup defeat by Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday. The FA said on Monday that Cabaye had been charged after allegedly kicking out at defender Adam El-Abd. An FA statement said: “Newcastle United midfielder Yohan Cabaye has been charged with violent conduct following an incident in the FA Cup fourth-round tie against Brighton & Hove Albion.” The 26-year-old Cabaye faces a three-match ban if he accepts or is found guilty of the charge, and that ban could be increased if he challenges the allegation and fails. If Cabaye pleads guilty, he would miss today’s Premier League trip to Blackburn Rovers, Sunday’s home clash with Aston Villa and the match against Tottenham Hotspur the following weekend.
Novara sack coach Tesser
Serie A tailenders Novara Calcio on Monday sacked coach Attilio Tesser and hired Emiliano Mondonico, president Massimo De Salvo said. Tesser led Novara to successive promotions over the past two years, but six months into their top-flight campaign, the new boys are rooted to the bottom of the table. However, it was their first appearance in the top flight for 55 years. Mondonico is a highly experienced coach who led Torino to the UEFA Cup final in 1992, where they lost to Ajax, and to an Italian Cup success over AS Roma the next year. He also achieved five promotions from Serie B to Serie A during his career with Cremonese, Atalanta BC (twice), Torino and Fiorentina. Explaining the coaching change, De Salvo said: “I didn’t want to have any regrets and I want to try [to stay up] right to the end. The team needed a boost, and hence it is with great and profound bitterness in my heart that I had to take this decision.”
Ahn hangs up his boots
International striker and 2002 World Cup star Ahn Jung-hwan announced his retirement from professional soccer at a tearful press conference yesterday. “No longer as a football player, but as a head of a family and as a fan of football, I will cheer on [South] Korean football. I want to rest,” an emotional Ahn told reporters. The 36-year-old became a household name at the 2002 finals when his extra-time header knocked Italy out in the round-of-16 as the co-hosts advanced all the way to the semi-finals, where they were eventually knocked out by Germany. Ahn was on loan at Serie A side Perugia at the time and his contract was canceled by the club following his goal, with their owner Luciano Gaucci saying: “I have no intention of paying a salary to someone who has ruined Italian football.” Ahn began his professional career in 1998 with Busan, before enjoying spells in Italy, Germany, France, Japan and China.
Slovakia coach Weiss quits
Vladimir Weiss has quit as the coach of Slovakia’s national team, the Slovak Football Association said on Monday. “Slovakia’s Football Association has agreed with Weiss on ending their contract effective Jan. 31,” Slovak FA head Jan Kovacik said, without elaborating on the reason. The 47-year-old, whose contract ran until 2014, will continue as the coach of Slovan Bratislava. Weiss guided Slovakia to the last 16 of the 2010 World Cup on their debut at the finals. Slovakia beat defending champions Italy 3-2 in the group stage, before losing to the Netherlands in the second round.