Barring a spectacular collapse on the final day, England’s Luke Donald is all set to create history by becoming the first ever player to win the Money List on both the US PGA and the European Tours in the same season.
While Donald produced a solid, bogey-free third round of six-under 66 on Saturday, it was Rory McIlroy’s failure to make any impact following a listless performance that should help the Englishman’s accession to the throne.
McIlroy, who needs to win the US$7.5 million Dubai World Championship to have an outside chance of winning the European Tour’s Race to Dubai, struggled throughout the day and finished with a one-under 71 for an eight-under par total of 208.
However, with Spain’s Alvaro Quiros leading the tournament at 14-under par 202 following a round of 70, it would take a superhuman effort from the 22-year-old in the final round set for yesterday.
“The Race is over,” said McIlroy, who made one bogey and four birdies apart from the double. “Luke is in a great position and he has played great the last couple of days. I expect him to go out and shoot another very solid round tomorrow and wrap this thing up.”
However, Donald said he is still not taking things for granted.
“You can’t take anything for granted in this game. I would be foolish to expect that it’s over. Tomorrow, it will be just like any other day in terms of my focus will be on trying to catch whoever is the leader and trying to win the tournament,” the world No.1 said.
In the midst of the Donald-McIlroy battle, the man wearing the biggest smile was Quiros. Despite starting the day with a bogey and ending with another, he did enough good work in the middle for a two-under par 70.
That gave him a two-shot lead going into the final day over Scotland’s Paul Lawrie, who eagled the final hole in his 66, while South Africa’s Louis Oosthuizen also returned a similar score to be one ahead of Donald in sole third place at 205.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also
PROUD, BUT BOWING OUT: The Dallas center missed all of 2018 due to Guillain-Barre syndrome, but Travis Frederick returned to be a standout again last season Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick on Monday stunningly announced his retirement. Frederick, who turned 29 on Wednesday last week, was a Pro Bowl selection in five of his six NFL seasons. Frederick revealed his retirement in a lengthy letter, beginning it by writing: “After much consideration, discussion, and reflection, I have decided to retire from football. This was not an easy decision.” Frederick cited his bout with autoimmune disease Guillain-Barre syndrome as a factor. He missed the 2018 season due to the illness in which the body’s immune system attacks the nervous system, but he returned to be a standout again last
Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert, whose positive COVID-19 test prompted the NBA to shut down its season, says that the coronavirus has caused him to lose his sense of smell. The Frenchman, whose defensive talents have earned him the nickname “Stifle Tower,” tested positive for COVID-19 on March 11, the result bringing the NBA season to an abrupt halt. In social media posts since then, the 27-year-old had said he was feeling better, but on Sunday he tweeted that he was experiencing one of the lesser-known symptoms of the illness. “Just to give you guys an update, loss of smell and taste is