Two second-half goals from teenage forwards Lucas and Neymar inspired Brazil to a 2-0 victory over archrivals Argentina in a friendly played only with home-based players in Belem on Wednesday.
The 19-year-old Sao Paulo forward Lucas, one of the leading lights in the South American -under-20 championship earlier this year, capped off an exhilarating run from Brazil’s own half with a well-placed shot nine minutes after the break.
Neymar added the second for the hosts in the 76th minute from close range after a low cross from the left by substitute Diego Souza to thrill the home fans in the Amazonian city.
While Argentina had virtually no senior players on the field, Brazil were boosted by former FIFA player of the year Ronaldinho and 19-year-old Neymar, who has become a first-choice player in the national team despite his youth.
Brazil missed out on an early goal when Neymar just failed to connect with a cross in front of the goal. Captain Ronaldinho also had a chance go begging from a free-kick that sailed just over the bar.
Ronaldinho, who has been in fine form for Brazilian championship contenders Flamengo, was recalled to the national side earlier this month for the 1-0 friendly win over Ghana in London, his first start in nearly a year.
The former Barcelona forward, a World Cup winner in 2002, is now seen by Brazil coach Mano Menezes as a mentor for the new generation of players being groomed in the lead-up to the 2014 World Cup on home soil.
“It’s wonderful to play with Neymar and Lucas, the young talents ... I was called here for that, to give support to these young people,” Ronaldinho told reporters, adding that he was targeting a spot on the team for the London Olympics next year as one of the three permitted players aged over 23.
“I go step by step, my dream now is to win the Olympic gold that is missing in my career and then do really well in the 2014 World Cup,” he said.
The match in Belem was the second leg of a friendly tournament held annually. The teams drew 0-0 in the first leg on Sept. 14 in Cordoba, Argentina.
World No. 1 Tai Tzu-ying yesterday eased past her Thai opponent to advance to the second round of the Toyota Thailand Open. The Taiwanese star toppled world No. 46 Supanida Katethong 21-16, 21-11 in 29 minutes at the Impact Arena in Bangkok. “I think I played OK today. I am feeling a little better than last week,” Tai said. Tomorrow, Tai faces Indonesia’s Gregoria Mariska Tunjung. The two have faced each other six times, with Tai beating the world No. 21 in all six matches. Tai on Sunday reached the final of the Yonex Thailand Open before losing decisively against Carolina Marin of Spain.
LOOKING TO REPEAT: World No. 7 Lee Yang and Wang Chi-lin advanced to the round-of-16 at the Toyota Thailand Open, after winning the Yonex Thailand Open on Sunday Taiwan’s world No. 7 duo yesterday eased past the US’ world No. 37 pairing at the Toyota Thailand Open to reach the round-of-16 in Bangkok. Lee Yang and Wang Chi-lin beat Phillip Chew and Ryan Chew 21-14, 21-11 in just 24 minutes. Lee and Wang, who won the men’s doubles title at the Yonex Thailand Open on Sunday, next face the world No. 34 pairing, Canada’s Jason Anthony Ho-Shue and Nyl Yakura. In men’s singles, Taiwan’s world No. 2 Chou Tien-chen again beat Thailand’s world No. 45 Suppanyu Avihingsanon, after edging past the Thai player in the opening round of the Yonex
Brooklyn Nets forward Kevin Durant described new teammate James Harden as “incredible” after the guard recorded a triple-double on his debut for the team in their 122-115 NBA victory over the Orlando Magic on Saturday night. Harden on Thursday joined the Nets from the Houston Rockets to reunite with Durant — his former teammate at Oklahoma City Thunder — and the duo looked dominant in their first game together with the Brooklyn team. Durant scored a season-high 42 points while Harden, the NBA’s Most Valuable Player in 2018, became the seventh player in NBA history to register a triple-double in his debut
Three new COVID-19 cases yesterday hit the Australian Open’s troubled buildup as a backlash grew against international tennis players flown in during a raging pandemic. Two of the new cases were players, state health officials said, taking the total infections to seven since more than 1,000 people arrived in largely COVID-19-free Australia on charter flights last week. The Victoria Department of Health and Human Services said that the two players and a third person associated with the tournament — a woman in her 20s, and two men in their 30s — had returned positive results. The year’s first Grand Slam, delayed three weeks,