Kuo Hong-chih, a left-handed Taiwanese pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers, shocked fans at home on Wednesday by saying he was not sure whether he would continue his baseball career.
According to an article on the Dodgers official Web site, Kuo had said in an interview that he was not sure whether wearing the Dodgers uniform on Wednesday was his last time.
Nobody on the Dodgers’ current roster has been with the team longer than Kuo, who signed in 1999. He has since fought through four elbow operations, but the anxiety disorder that sidelined him this year has made it uncertain whether he would continue playing.
The 30-year-old said in an interview with Dodgers Web site reporter Ken Gurnick that he would soon return to Taiwan and think it over.
“I need a break,” Kuo said. “I love baseball and that’s why I keep going. If I want to still play and somebody wants to give me a try, I play. If not, fine with me. I’ll miss it, but I don’t want to play unless I enjoy it again.”
The Dodgers article said Kuo still shows flashes of the brilliance that led to a 1.20 ERA and an All-Star appearance last year, but 23 walks in 27 innings this year and a 9.00 ERA came with the yips, baseball’s pitching manifestation of anxiety disorder.
During the just-concluded -season, Kuo had spells when he did not know where the ball was going, and he said he did not want to let down a team that is counting on him.
Kuo said in the interview that the upcoming offseason would be more interesting because he has to decide if he can get his mind set to do whatever he has to do to enjoy baseball again.
If not, Kuo said he would quit baseball altogether. Perhaps, he would open a restaurant in his hometown in southern Taiwan.
“I like to eat,” he said in the interview. “I like to cook, but I’m not very good at it.”
According to the article, the Dodgers will also have a decision to make if Kuo wants to return. Kuo said he understood that.
“They gave me the opportunity to come back and the team has to make a decision,” he said. “They’ve done everything for me. I couldn’t have done it by myself. I’m lucky they gave me the opportunity to keep going.”
’SO CONSISTENT’: The victory gave the world No. 1 and world No. 2 a 21-1 win-loss record and their fourth title of the season after successes in Brisbane, Dubai and Doha Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Sunday cruised to their fourth women’s doubles title of the season at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome in their first tournament back since the suspension of the WTA Tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The top seeds took just 63 minutes to complete a comprehensive 6-2, 6-2 victory over unseeded German-Romanian duo Anna-Lena Friedsam and Raluca Olaru at the Foro Italico. It was the Taiwanese-Czech pairing’s first outing since they won the Qatar Open in February. “After five months, you don’t know what to expect,” Strycova told the WTA Web site.
‘GREAT EVENING‘: In the women’s singles in Rome, Simona Halep and Karolina Pliskova advanced, while Rafael Nadal swept into the quarters in the men’s singles Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Friday had to dig deep to advance to the semi-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. The top seeds, who did not drop a game in their opening match on the clay courts at the Foro Italico, battled to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 victory over sixth seeds Veronika Kudermetova and Katerina Siniakova in 1 hour, 39 minutes. The reigning Wimbledon champions saved nine of 11 break points and converted three of eight, winning 56 percent of points on their second serve and sending down two aces
ANOTHER SCANDAL: Searches focused on several riders, including Dayer Quintana, a source said, while the two being held were reportedly a doctor and physiotherapist French police on Monday detained two people as part of an investigation into suspected doping in the Arkea-Samsic team at this year’s Tour de France, prosecutors announced. The probe is the first significant one in several years for the repeatedly scandal-hit tour, which on Sunday wrapped up in Paris with a victory for 21-year-old Tadej Pogacar, who became the youngest winner in more than a century. Prosecutor Dominique Laurens in Marseille said in a statement that an investigation was being carried out into a “small part” of France-based Arkea-Samsic, without specifying who had been placed in custody. Laurens added that the two
Former MLB pitcher Wang Wei-chung has signed the biggest contract with a local team in Taiwan’s professional baseball history, the Wei Chuan Dragons said yesterday. The 28-year-old left-hander signed a five-year US$2.08 million contract with the Dragons, team chairman Hsu Wen-fang told a news conference. It is the biggest contract in the CPBL’s 31-year history, surpassing a three-year, US$1.36 million deal Lin Chih-sheng signed in 2016 with the CTBC Brothers. Although the overall value of Wang’s deal set a new record, his average monthly salary of NT$990,000 (US$33,886) is lower than Lin’s pay of NT$1.2 million per month in 2017