Mon, Sep 19, 2011 - Page 19 News List

RUGBY WORLD CUP: Wales fight back to edge out Samoa in bruising battle


Wales came from behind to edge Samoa 17-10 in a dramatic and bruising contest to claim their first win over the Pacific islanders in three World Cup meetings at Waikato Stadium yesterday.

The Pool D match took on huge significance for Wales following their 17-16 loss to South Africa in last week’s group opener and both teams were touting it as a must-win encounter if they hoped to advance to the quarter-finals.

Wales were forced to defend for their lives after winger Shane Williams had scored their only try 13 minutes from time, but held on to prevent Samoa from adding to the World Cup wins they recorded over Wales in 1991 and eight years later.

Both sides showed some enterprise at times and if anything it was Wales who proved the more expansive, trying to run the ball out from their own line on one occasion, with Williams, in particular, proving a handful on the left flank.

“We didn’t get the result that we wanted but we still live to fight again next week so we’ve still got another chance in this World Cup,” Samoa skipper Mahonri Schwalger said.

The tricky pool also includes Fiji and Namibia, as well the Springboks, and Samoa will now need to beat the defending world champions if they are to have any realistic hope of advancing.

The first points of the game came from the boot of Wales fullback James Hook in the 10th -minute and the men in red thought they had scored a try two minutes later when inside center Jamie Roberts crossed in the corner, only for the final pass from lock Luke Charteris to be ruled forward.

Samoa leveled in the 18th minute when Wales paid for some sloppy play after they were penalized on the halfway line.

A quick tap caught out the slow-moving Welsh and they were penalized for not retreating 10 meters, bringing the posts into the kicking range of fullback Paul Williams, who duly slotted over his attempt.

Hook restored Wales’ three-point advantage in the 25th minute with another penalty, but Samoa came back strongly and were unlucky not to take the lead when flanker Maurie Faasavalu was penalized for a double movement when he crossed the line.

However, Samoa were able to breach the Wales defense legally on the stroke of halftime when prop Anthony Perenise crashed over from 5m out, allowing the Pacific islanders to go to the interval with a 10-6 lead.

Wales came out for the second half minus goal kicker Hook, who sustained a shoulder injury in the first spell, and flyhalf Rhys Priestland took over the kicking duties.

He was successful with his first effort in the 41st minute, when the ball bounced on the crossbar and then over as the Welsh narrowed the deficit to 10-9.

Wales were now the more composed of the sides and took the lead with another Priestland penalty before Williams finished off a sweeping move down the left hand touchline in the corner to see off the Samoa challenge.

This story has been viewed 2037 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top