Australia’s greatest soccer export, Harry Kewell, returned home to join A-League side Melbourne Victory yesterday, ending a protracted transfer saga that cost him a place in the Socceroos squad.
The 32-year-old former Liverpool forward had been without a club since leaving Turkish side Galatasaray at the end of last season and had been negotiating a move for more than two months.
“Harry is an Australian sporting icon and will bring not only incredible talent to Melbourne Victory, but will attract more fans to football and boost greater interest and participation in the sport in Australia,” the club’s chairman Anthony Di Pietro said in a statement. “Our discussions with Harry have been progressing for some time and we are delighted to have completed what is the most significant signing in Australian football and ... A-League history.”
The move for Kewell, who has scored 16 goals in 54 appearances for his country and played in two World Cups, ends a European-based career which, although successful, could have been more fruitful if it was not for continued injury problems.
Although his signing is a major coup for the struggling domestic league, which has seen clubs struggle with finances and one club close, Kewell and his agent have been pilloried in the Australian media for lavish demands, which included a cut of ticket sales.
“I am proud to be Australian and want to give something back to the game there,” Kewell told the Melbourne Victory Web site. “It has always been my ambition to play in my home country and I am very pleased to have that opportunity by playing for Melbourne Victory.”
Twice A-League champions, Melbourne Victory, who kick off their season on Oct. 8 against Sydney FC, have signed a three-year deal with Kewell, local media said.
Football Federation Australia (FFA) also hailed Kewell’s homecoming.
“This is a red-letter day for the ... A-League and Australian football,” FFA chief executive Ben Buckley said in a statement.
“The signing of Harry Kewell tells the story of ambition, credibility and growth for the game in Australia,” Buckley said. “Harry is rightly acclaimed as Australia’s most gifted footballer with a celebrated record of achievement. His homecoming will be hugely popular.”
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Friday said that he had called in the “third umpire” as he announced that recreational cricket would be allowed to resume next weekend. In a radio interview earlier on Friday, Johnson angered thousands of club cricketers by saying that the amateur game was still not safe to play amid the COVID-19 pandemic because of issues surrounding communal teas and dressing rooms. “It’s the teas, it’s the changing rooms and so on and so forth. There are other factors involved that generate proximity which you might not get in a game of tennis,” he said. Johnson had already
Hong Kong media reported that police briefly detained a man in a Liverpool team jersey who shouted “long live Liverpool” during anti-government protests on Wednesday, over suspicion that he was inciting independence. In-Media reported that the man was across the street from police officers who were conducting stop-and-searches on a group of protesters, when he shouted: “Long live Liverpool.” Others reportedly cheered and joined in the chant, before officers detained him. The man told In-Media that police had accused him of inciting Hong Kong independence, which now is a punishable crime. He said that he has been a fan of the English soccer
Indian police are investigating an alleged betting scandal in which a sham cricket tournament was held in an Indian village and passed off as a Twenty20 contest played in Sri Lanka. Players portrayed as Sri Lankan cricketers played two matches on Monday last week that were broadcast with live commentary on YouTube, media reports said, along with ball-by-ball coverage on top Indian sports Web sites. The organizers hung Sri Lankan advertisements at the ground for added authenticity and put up tents to block the view from outside the remote rural venue, set in farmland next to a busy highway. Police said that they
Raptors guard Fred VanVleet is already in Florida with the rest of his Toronto teammates, and he knows the time to take a stand and counter the NBA plan to restart the season has passed, but his opinion on the matter has not changed. “It sucks,” VanVleet said on Monday in a videoconference of his choice to return to the court during the COVID-19 pandemic and Black Lives Matter campaign. “It’s terrible timing, but that’s been 2020 for us. We all know the right thing to do is to not play, to take a stand. Morally, yes, that makes sense, but