Mon, Jul 04, 2011 - Page 20 News List

Klitschko uses jab to silence Haye in decision

Reuters, HAMBURG, Germany

The Ukraine’s Wladimir Klitschko, right, lands a punch against Britain’s David Haye during their heavyweight title unification bout on Saturday in Hamburg, Germany.

Photo: Reuters

Wladimir Klitschko beat Britain’s David Haye in a unanimous points decision on Saturday to add the WBA heavyweight title to his three other belts and complete his family’s domination of the division.

The Ukrainian, whose lighter and smaller opponent took him the full 12 rounds despite fighting with a broken toe, was declared the winner 117-109, 118-108 and 116-110 by the two American and one South African judges.

While denied the 50th career knockout he had hoped for, Klitschko — now 56-3 — had more than enough reason to celebrate with his brother and WBC champion, Vitali.

They now hold the WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF and IBO belts between them and have achieved their lifelong dream of uniting the division in the family.

“I would have loved to celebrate my 50th knockout,” said the youngest of the brothers, at 35, who was taunted publicly by the trash-talking English showman Haye in the build-up to the fight and had promised to punish him.

“I am still not okay with his behavior before the fight,” the giant “Dr Steelhammer” added. “It’s definitely disgraceful to the boxing fans, to the sport of boxing, the way the man behaved himself. I think the fight talked for itself.”

Klitschko aimed and landed far more blows than Haye, who was unable to connect with his famed “Hayemaker,” while being picked off by his opponent’s jab.

The 30-year-old Briton, now 25-2 after his first defeat in seven years, said afterward that had more to do with the secret injury he was carrying.

“I broke my toe about three weeks ago,” Hayes said. “I didn’t let anyone know that. I’ve been giving it local anesthetics in the gym ... that’s why I stopped sparring. My Hayemaker wasn’t there, I couldn’t push off my right foot to land that shot. It was really frustrating.”

Haye said he had considered pulling out of the fight, but had refused to let down the considerable British support among the 50,000 strong crowd who made the trip to Germany for their biggest heavyweight fight in nearly a decade.

Yet, after all the hype, Haye could not deliver on a rainy night in Hamburg.

Klitschko, 13.6kg heavier and with a longer reach, dictated the early rounds and used his weight and height to push Haye to the floor repeatedly.

American referee Genaro Rodriguez docked him a point in the seventh round for the offense, but then controversially gave Haye a standing count in the 11th after what had looked like another blatant push.

Haye, who had vowed to “make the robot malfunction,” kept his gloves contemptuously low for much of the fight and drew blood from Klitschko’s right nostril in the fourth round, before himself suffering a cut to the nose in the fifth.

The Briton’s punches were too often wild and off target, while Klitschko used his left hook and jab to good effect.

“He’s 30-odd pounds heavier than me and hit me with some of his best shots,” said Haye, who reserved judgment on whether he will retire as stated in October.

“I didn’t go down, I wasn’t hurt at any stage. I think I’ve proved that I’m a great fighter,” he said. “He played it smart and kept hitting me with the jab and occasional right hand, all credit to Wladimir.”

This story has been viewed 4577 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top