Agbeko-Mares set for August
Bantamweight world champion Joseph Agbeko will defend his crown against unbeaten Mexican Abner Mares on Aug. 13, promoters announced on Friday. The fight, at a US site to be determined, will match the Ghana-born Agbeko, 28-2 with 22 knockouts, against Mares 21-0 with one draw and 13 knockouts, in the finals of a four-man tournament that was originally set for April 23. Agbeko flew to Los Angeles for the fight last month, but collapsed five days before the bout with what doctors said was a sudden attack of sciatica. He was advised by physicians to wait six weeks before resuming his fight training. Agbeko went home to Ghana to recuperate, but plans a return next week to his New York home base.
Carter’s tumor likely cancer
Former Montreal Expos all-star catcher Gary Carter has a brain tumor that is likely cancerous. Doctors performed biopsies on a tumor in Carter’s brain and the hospital said the results show it “appears to be malignant.” “Once the pathology report is available, which will take several days, we will discuss treatment options with Mr Carter and his family,” doctor Allan Friedman said on Friday. The 57-year-old Carter announced on Saturday last week that an MRI had revealed four small tumors on his brain. The 11-time all-star was inducted into the MLB Hall of Fame in 2003.
Beisiegel earns PGA card
Canada’s Isabelle Beisiegel has become the first woman to earn a playing card on a men’s professional tour. The 32-year-old Montreal native finished equal ninth on Friday in the Canadian Professional Golf Tour’s Spring Qualifying School to take one of the last two nonexempt spots. Beisiegel had a four-under 68 in the third round, then closed with a 75 in rainy conditions to finish at eight-over 296. She opened with rounds of 75 and 78. “I still can’t believe it. It’s a little overwhelming,” Beisiegel said. “I went into today just trying not to get ahead of myself. I focused on thinking about where I was and not what could happen.” Australia’s Andrew Kelly won the event, finishing at one-under 287.
Nguyen accepts ban
US competitor Jonathan Nguyen has accepted a six-month ban after testing positive for the banned stimulant methylhexaneamine, the US Anti-Doping Agency announced on Friday. The 25-year-old from Arizona, who competes in the under-54kg division, tested positive after a urine sample was taken at the US Open International competition on Feb. 20. Because the substance is a specified substance under World Anti-Doping Agency rules, a reduced sanction can result. Nguyen’s suspension began on March 29, when he accepted a provisional ban.
Team Lotus name allowed
Britain’s High Court cleared Team Lotus on Friday to continue racing under its current name, following a dispute with a rival team. The right to the Lotus name in F1 went to trial in March. Team Lotus used it last season, claiming it legally acquired the rights from the remnants of the old team. Group Lotus, the company’s road-car division, also claimed rights and is a major backer of the Renault team. The court ruled that Team Lotus is the rightful owner of the name and can continue to use the iconic badge. Group Lotus can use the Lotus name on its car and use the black and gold livery, but can only display the badge on its road cars.