Overseas athletes plying their trade in Japanese sports leagues were starting to leave the country as it battled to avert nuclear disaster yesterday, local media reported.
Last Friday’s catastrophic quake and tsunami claimed thousands of lives and crippled a nuclear plant north of Tokyo, sparking fears of health risks from radiation leaks.
With the country struggling to deal with what Japanese Emperor Akihito described as a crisis “unprecedented in scale,” professional sport in Japan has largely come to a standstill.
Five US baseball players playing for the Yokohama BayStars were all due to depart for the US yesterday, although officials said they would return next week.
“These guys have rarely experienced earthquakes,” Yokohama manager Takao Obana told Kyodo news agency. “It’s understandable that they want to go home.”
The Kyodo report said foreign players at the Seibu Lions club, who are based in a commuter city west of Tokyo, had been refused permission to leave the country as there was no threat to their health.
Nippon Professional Baseball has yet to announce whether the new season would begin on March 25 as scheduled. Basketball’s bj-league, where foreigners make up a third of the players, canceled all fixtures last weekend and officials have not decided when the season will be resumed. Several members of the Tokyo Apaches team were also heading back home to the US, and not just because of fears for their own safety.
“It is a very difficult time right now as I am having mixed emotions about leaving,” American Darin Satoshi Maki, a point guard for the Tokyo Apache told the Japan Times. “Avoiding conflicting reports, blackouts, supply shortages, transportation issues and aftershocks altogether might be best. Plus all I am doing here is consuming food and electricity. I will be leaving for Los Angeles on Thursday and I know my family will be relieved to see me, but if I get the call that our season is starting up again, I will be on the first thing smoking.”
Australian soccer international Jade North, who had just signed a deal to play for FC Tokyo when the earthquake struck, was instructed by his JLeague club to leave the country and return home on Wednesday.
“So far they’ve canceled all of the March fixtures in the JLeague and no one knows what’ll happen then,” the defender told the Adelaide Advertiser. “But I’ve had a great time before the earthquake struck. It’s a really good club and I want to come back once things have started to calm down.”
The Japan Football Association on Wednesday canceled an international friendly against Montenegro scheduled to take place in Shizuoka next Friday, while New Zealand’s soccer association said yesterday that its team had scrapped a March 29 match against Japan, citing safety concerns.
Japan’s national swimming championships, a trial for the world championships and scheduled to take place in Tokyo early next month, was also canceled after the venue was damaged by the earthquake, Kyodo reported.
KEY GOAL: Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei is now free to focus on taking her fourth doubles title of the year with Barbora Strycova; they are due to face Nao Hibino and Makoto Ninomiya Taiwanese No. 1 Hsieh Su-wei on Monday returned to the court for the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic shut down the WTA Tour, falling to a 6-3, 6-1 defeat to US Open quarter-finalist Elise Mertens, who made a solid transition from the hard courts in New York to the clay at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. “I’m not sure how well I adapted, to be honest,” Mertens told the WTA Web site. “I just feel like I might still be struggling a little. It was also [Hsieh’s] first match of the week, so that was a bit of an
‘GREAT EVENING‘: In the women’s singles in Rome, Simona Halep and Karolina Pliskova advanced, while Rafael Nadal swept into the quarters in the men’s singles Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Friday had to dig deep to advance to the semi-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. The top seeds, who did not drop a game in their opening match on the clay courts at the Foro Italico, battled to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 victory over sixth seeds Veronika Kudermetova and Katerina Siniakova in 1 hour, 39 minutes. The reigning Wimbledon champions saved nine of 11 break points and converted three of eight, winning 56 percent of points on their second serve and sending down two aces
‘FUN TIME’: Denver’s Nikola Jokic said that his team would not accept that anyone else is better than them and the opposition need to play much better than they do Just about everyone had LA versus LA written in for the NBA’s Western Conference finals, but the resilient Denver Nuggets have crashed the party. Behind Jamal Murray and Nikola Jokic, the Nuggets advanced to the conference finals for the first time since 2009 to face LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers. Game 1 is scheduled to be played tomorrow. This was no ordinary road. The Nuggets fell behind 3-1 in their first-round series against the Utah Jazz before bouncing back with three straight victories. Then they went down 3-1 to the Los Angeles Clippers in the second round before winning in Game 7
Neymar on Sunday claimed that he had been the victim of racism as he was one of five players sent off in a mass brawl at the end of Olympique de Marseille’s 1-0 win over Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain. PSG’s Brazilian star appeared to accuse Alvaro Gonzalez of calling him a “monkey” in a series of furious tweets after he was sent off in stoppage-time for slapping the Marseille defender on the back of the head. “Look at the racism. That’s why I hit him,” Neymar, who was returning from COVID-19 quarantine, said as he left the pitch. “The only regret I