New allegations surface
Japan’s scandal-tainted national sport of sumo wrestling is facing new allegations that senior wrestlers used cellphones to plan how to fix matches. Japanese media reported yesterday that police have found suspicious text messages on several wrestlers’ cellphones suggesting they were planning to fix bouts and going so far as to detail how one would attack and how he wanted his opponent to fall. The text messages, found on the phones of wrestlers in sumo’s second-highest division, indicate that the wrestlers routinely fixed bouts and charged hundreds of thousands of yen per match to do so, Japan’s Kyodo news service said. Several wrestlers were arrested last year for betting illegally on baseball games, allegedly with gangsters as go-betweens. Kyodo said the text messages this time were found on phones confiscated when police were investigating the baseball gambling ring.
Ex-minister joins Black Cats
Former British Foreign Secretary David Miliband was named non-executive vice chairman of Premier League club Sunderland on Tuesday. Arsenal fan Miliband, who is the Labour Party MP for the neighboring constituency of South Shields, had talks over the role with Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn last month. Reports suggest he will be paid a ￡50,000 (US$80,000) salary and Quinn said: “We are delighted and honored to welcome David to Sunderland and I am certain he can bring an extra dimension to us as a club. He is already a great champion of our ethos of community involvement and will be a fabulous asset on this front. Adding David to our board in a non-executive capacity provides us with someone who possesses a different spectrum in envisaging how the club can grow.” Miliband lost out to his brother, Ed, in the battle to become Labour leader after last year’s general election.
Blanc ignores minister’s call
France coach Laurent Blanc says he will call up whoever he wants for next week’s friendly against Brazil, despite a call from his country’s sports minister for a ban on the players who went on strike at last year’s World Cup. Blanc told regional newspaper Midi Libre that Chantal Jouanno had the right to her opinion on the matter, but added that he remained “totally free” in his choices. France’s players were accused of being a disgrace to their country after going on strike at last year’s tournament. They boycotted a training session in protest at Nicolas Anelka being sent home by team management after his profanity-laced tirade against then-coach Raymond Domenech during a 2-0 loss to Mexico.
Lazio halt Milan title charge
Lazio produced a spirited rearguard action to hold Serie A leaders AC Milan to a 0-0 draw at the San Siro on Tuesday. Lazio came into the match in third place in the league and knowing that a defeat would almost certainly rule them out of the title running and although the hosts dominated throughout, with Zlatan Ibrahimovic hitting both posts with a single shot, they could not find a way through the Romans’ stubborn resistance. Massimiliano Allegri, the Milan coach, said his side had deserved to come away with three points. “We rushed too much in the first half, Lazio defended very well but they didn’t have a single shot on goal,” he said. “We had several good chances, especially Ibra hitting the posts. The lads played a good game and deserved the win but this is football.”
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
DISSENT: The US track and field body joined sports officials in Norway and Brazil, as well as Indian athletes, in calling on the IOC to postpone the Tokyo Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 organizers have started drafting possible alternatives to holding the Olympics this summer, two sources familiar with the talks said, in contrast to the Japanese government’s stance that postponement is not an option. While the COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted sports events around the world, Japan has been steadfast in saying that the Games would go on. A Japanese government spokesman on Wednesday said that Tokyo was not preparing for postponement. “Finally, we have been asked to make a simulation in case of a postponement,” said one of the sources, an official close to the organizing committee who is involved in drafting the
PROUD, BUT BOWING OUT: The Dallas center missed all of 2018 due to Guillain-Barre syndrome, but Travis Frederick returned to be a standout again last season Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick on Monday stunningly announced his retirement. Frederick, who turned 29 on Wednesday last week, was a Pro Bowl selection in five of his six NFL seasons. Frederick revealed his retirement in a lengthy letter, beginning it by writing: “After much consideration, discussion, and reflection, I have decided to retire from football. This was not an easy decision.” Frederick cited his bout with autoimmune disease Guillain-Barre syndrome as a factor. He missed the 2018 season due to the illness in which the body’s immune system attacks the nervous system, but he returned to be a standout again last
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also