Fifth-tier Chambery and Wasquehal were the French Cup giant killers on Saturday after putting out last season’s finalists Monaco and fellow top flight outfit Auxerre.
Chambery and Wasquehal joined Friday’s winners, Paris FC of the third tier, who knocked out first division Toulouse 2-1, as the former saw off Monaco 3-2 on penalties after the pair had been locked at 1-1.
Wasquehal knocked out 1996 winners Auxerre 2-1 with a late penalty.
With second division Sedan beating Arles-Avignon in a shootout and Angers, also of the second division, ousting Valenciennes in extra-time, five Ligue 1 teams have already bitten the dust.
Monaco coach Guy Lacombe has endured a tough season with his side fourth from bottom of the table, but a recent draw with Paris Saint-Germain looked to have bolstered his position.
However, a Cup humiliation has thrown his future back into the melting pot after a tepid display.
Lacombe said his men had been hard done by, blaming everyone from the referee to the media for the elimination.
“What astonishes me is that we had a goal unjustifiably ruled out — the officials fell into the trap and don’t realize the wrong that can do to a club,” Lacombe said. “It’s dreadful — we are moving toward a populist scenario, with the media there to repeat that the little guys have to go through.”
Chambery’s Selim Bengriba said: “This is huge. There’s a Cup upset like this once a year and this time it is we who have pulled it off. It’s magic.”
Auxerre at least have a League Cup semi-final against Olympique de Marseille to look forward to later this month.
Elsewhere, the form book was respected as league leaders Lille beat fifth tier Forbach 3-1, while Girondins de Bordeaux saw off third division Rouen to set themselves up for a tough visit to Marseille next week.
Another Ligue 1 side, Nice, needed penalties to shrug off the challenge of third division Creteil. Nantes gave former goalkeeper David Marraud a torrid time as he returned with fifth tier Cognac, who finally succumbed 3-1.
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker found himself in need of an assist to help the state fight the COVID-19 pandemic. He called on the New England Patriots. One of the team’s private airplanes on Thursday evening landed in Boston after returning from China carrying more than 1 million masks critical to healthcare providers fighting to control the spread of the coronavirus. Members of the Massachusetts National Guard met the airplane and offloaded the containers of masks onto waiting trucks for transport to warehouses for distribution. Baker secured the N95 masks from Chinese manufacturers, but had no way of getting them to the US. He
WAIT AND SEE: The estimated cost of postponement started at US$2 billion and has kept rising, but the IOC has yet to say whether it would help pay for the extra expenses Postponing the Tokyo Olympics to next year would make the event more costly for all parties, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) acknowledged on Thursday, although it offered few details on what the final bill might be. Four directors of the Olympic body held a conference call three days after Tokyo’s new dates were finalized, with the Games pushed back to July 23 to Aug. 8 next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. While the new dates cleared up any uncertainty about the event’s future, there are still plenty of question marks as the committee begins to work with Tokyo organizers and the
DECREASED TENSION: The US players’ lawyers said that the soccer federation no longer disputes that the jobs of the women’s and men’s national teams require equal skill Women players suing the US Soccer Federation (USSF) said in in court documents filed on Tuesday that the federation has acknowledged that the jobs of male and female soccer players require equal skill. The language seemed to signal a decrease in tension between the parties after language in documents filed by the federation’s lawyers earlier last month provoked widespread outrage in saying that playing on the men’s national team required a higher level of skill based on speed and strength and carried greater responsibility. The fierce backlash — not only from the women players, but also from sponsors such as Coca-Cola —
Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are planning to play a charity golf match next month with Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, CNBC reported on Wednesday. CNBC, which cited an unnamed person familiar with the negotiations, said that the charity match would be held at an undisclosed location without fans and is being organized by the PGA Tour and AT&T’s WarnerMedia. The negotiations are still being finalized, but the match pitting 15-time major champion Woods and Manning against five-time major winner Mickelson and Brady could be aired on live TV and is unlikely to be featured on pay-per-view, CNBC said. “Discussions