Nicaraguan player charged
A Nicaraguan player has been charged with sexually assaulting a Taiwanese woman while he was in the country for an international match earlier this year, a prosecutor said yesterday. Huembes Gustavo Lopez, who was on the Nicaraguan squad for the Intercontinental Cup in central Taiwan in October, faces up to four years in prison if convicted, the prosecutor said. The 28-year-old allegedly met the woman near the hotel where he was staying and took her to his room to chat, before the woman reported to police the following morning that she had been assaulted. Lopez has been detained in Taiwan since his arrest in October as he failed to pay a bail of NT$200,000, prosecutors said. The Nicaraguan team’s coach Edgard Matamoros has apologized on the player’s behalf and said he would respect the authorities’ decision.
Schalke’s Hao on China team
Schalke 04 midfielder Hao Junmin is the only foreign-based player in China’s 23-man squad for next month’s Asian Cup in Qatar. The Chinese Football Association kept faith in domestic league players in picking a squad containing three goalkeepers, eight defenders, 10 midfielders and two forwards for the continental championship, Xinhua news agency reported. Wuhan-born Hao, 23, became the first Chinese player to play for Schalke 04, having joined the Bundesliga side early this year. China are in Group A with hosts Qatar, Kuwait and Uzbekistan in the Jan. 7 to Jan. 29 championship.
Pardew angry with Enrique
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has criticized defender Jose Enrique for revealing on Twitter that he would miss Tuesday’s Premier League match at Tottenham. The Spaniard wrote in broken English four hours before the match: “we decide is better dont play.” Pardew was annoyed that key team news had been leaked. “Did he tweet it, did he?” Pardew asked reporters after a 2-0 loss at White Hart Lane. “Players can’t be giving that sort of information out.” Pardew said: “It’s difficult to police ... we need to make it as a club policy that it has to stop.” Asked if Enrique would be fit for Sunday’s match against West Ham, Pardew replied: “I’ll check his tweet.”
Bucks’ Boykins suspended
Milwaukee Bucks point guard Earl Boykins has been suspended for one game without pay for making intentional contact with a game official, the NBA said on Tuesday. The incident occurred with 5.3 seconds left in the third period of Milwaukee’s 95-80 home loss to the Atlanta Hawks on Monday. Boykins served his ban in Tuesday’s game against the Bulls at the United Center in Chicago, the league said in a statement.
Ryan named to Pro Bowl
Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan was named to next year’s Pro Bowl game as the Falcons led all NFL teams with seven selections, the league announced on Tuesday. Falcons all-star receiver Roddy White and defensive end John Abraham also earned a spot in the game for Atlanta, which has the best record in its conference at 12-3. Ryan however won’t start for the NFC squad as that honor goes to Philadelphia’s quarterback Michael Vick, who served 18 months in jail for his role in a brutal dog-fighting ring. New England’s Tom Brady will start for the AFC.