Semenya eyes next month
The coach of champion, but trouble-plagued, South African runner Caster Semenya said she hopes to resume racing next year. Semenya has not competed since a back injury forced her to drop out of the Commonwealth Games in October. Michael Seme told reporters yesterday that Semenya was still being treated for the injury, but had resumed light training. He said he believes Semenya would start competing next month and that her first return races would be in South Africa.
US gets Worlds earlier
The bobsled and skeleton world championships are returning to Mount Van Hoevenberg one year sooner than expected. The Olympic Sports Complex track outside Lake Placid was awarded the 2013 worlds last year. However, after a meeting in Calgary, Lake Placid switched dates with St Moritz, Switzerland, which was scheduled to host the 2012 event. Jim Goff of the New York State Olympic Regional Development Authority said the change was primarily made because of team travel to Sochi, Russia, for Olympic training in 2013. Goff says the FIBT and its member nations felt it would be easier for teams to travel from St Moritz to Olympic host Sochi. Races for the 2012 worlds at Lake Placid are expected to be held in mid-February.
The Washington Redskins have suspended defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth without pay for the last four games of the NFL regular season. The team says in a press release Tuesday that Haynesworth was punished for “conduct detrimental to the club.” Coach Mike Shanahan said Haynesworth “repeatedly refused to cooperate with our coaching staff in a variety of ways over an extended period of time.” The move caps a long feud between Haynesworth, a two-time All-Pro with a US$100 million contract, and first-year Washington coach Shanahan. Haynesworth was inactive for Washington’s 31-7 loss to the New York Giants on Sunday, which dropped the Redskins to 5-7.
Del Potro to return in Sydney
Argentina’s US Open champion Juan Martin Del Potro looks set return to tennis at the Sydney International next month after ending this season early due to injury, officials said. Del Potro, who beat Roger Federer to win last year’s US Open but had this year been unable to shake off a troublesome wrist injury, has been granted a wild card entry for the Sydney tournament. Del Potro ended his season early in late October after missing all but three events of this year because of the wrist complaint. Tournament organizers said seven of the world’s top 10 women — including world No.1 Caroline Wozniacki — will compete at the Jan. 9-to-Jan. 15 event in Sydney, which serves as a warm-up to the Australian Open.
Holland wins season-opener
Nate Holland of the US won the season-opening World Cup snowboardcross on Tuesday for his fourth career victory. The 32-year-old Holland beat Tom Velisek of Canada and Mario Fuchs of Austria in the final run. Holland and Andreas Promegger of Austria, who competes on the parallel slalom circuit, share the lead in the overall World Cup standings with 1,000 points each. In the women’s race, Dominique Maltais led a Canadian 1-2 by defeating Olympic champion Maelle Ricker to win her fourth career title. Yuka Fujimori of Japan took third.