Russia and the Gulf state of Qatar scored stunning victories in the battle for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups on Thursday after an acrimonious bidding war tainted by allegations of corruption.
In a historic conclusion to two years of frenzied lobbying, world soccer chief Sepp Blatter revealed the surprise winners following a secret ballot of 22 FIFA executive committee members in Zurich.
The announcement means the World Cup will be staged in two countries that have never hosted the event before following the 2014 tournament in Brazil.
Russia prevailed in the 2018 race after upsetting England — who were knocked out in the first round of voting after mustering a mere two votes — and joint bids from Spain/Portugal and Belgium/Netherlands.
The outcome represented an unexpected comeback for Russia, whose campaign was thought to be in trouble after Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin declined to join the lobbying effort in Switzerland.
Putin, however, jetted into Zurich late on Thursday to congratulate FIFA and the Russian bid team on the result.
“A 2018 World Cup will be up to the highest standards, new modern stadiums will be built in time and to perfection: We are eager to do our best for the comfort and safety of our guests,” Putin said. “We are honored by your decision. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. Soccer is popular all over the world, especially in Russia.”
However, the shock of the day came in the 2022 race, where Qatar beat off stiff competition from the US, Australia and Asian rivals South Korea and Japan in a remarkable result.
Qatar 2022 bid president Mohammed bin Hamad al-Thani said his country’s victory had defied the odds.
“We started off being written off, being the unconventional bid. And no-one thought we had a chance to win,” he said. “On behalf of millions living in the Middle East, thank you FIFA for having such bold vision. We have a date with history which is summer 2022.”
Qatar’s win came despite serious reservations being raised by a FIFA technical report about the logistical problems of staging the soccer tournament in the Gulf during the searing heat of the summer months.
Although the Qataris have promised to build an array of state of the art stadia that will keep players and fans in a cool, climate-controlled environment, the technology has never been tested on a large scale before.
Al-Thani dismissed concerns about the climate as “misconceptions.”
“One of the most important misconceptions was that Qatar cannot do it because it is too hot,” he said.
Yet it seems Qatar, who have never played in a World Cup, will have its work cut out convincing skeptical fans of its worthiness to host the tournament.
Even US President Barack Obama, who had recorded a personal appeal in support of the beaten US bid, criticized the FIFA ruling.
“I think it was the wrong decision,” Obama told reporters in Washington.
Thursday’s results brought the curtain down on one of the most controversial World Cup votes in years, with FIFA facing myriad allegations of corruption which led to two executive committee members being suspended.
An ill-tempered climax to the campaign saw Spanish and Russian officials issue veiled attacks on England earlier on Thursday as the respective bids made their final presentations to FIFA voters.
Spanish FIFA member Angel Villar Llona attacked British media reports that exposed alleged corruption within the organization, describing them as “slander.”
England 2018 officials were left dejected after a heavyweight lobbying offensive led by British Prime Minister David Cameron, heir to the British throne Prince William and soccer icon David Beckham had little effect.
“According to FIFA we had the best technical team, no one could identify any risks of coming to England. I think we had the strongest commercial bid and the country is passionate about football,” Cameron told reporters. “But it turns out that’s not enough.”
Adding insult to injury, it later emerged England had been eliminated in the first round of voting.
“What did we expect? FIFA, as far as I’m concerned, is full of people who say ‘yes’ to your face and ‘no’ behind your back,” former England manager Graham Taylor told BBC radio. “England have little or no influence.”
Spain’s World Cup winning coach, Vicente del Bosque, congratulated both Russia and Qatar, but said “we had all conditions to organize the World Cup,” mentioning the sporting facilities in a “modern country” that has a “passion” for soccer.
“We also have a good league, we have extraordinary players, including our own, who are world champions. But I suppose that [members of FIFA’s executive committee] had different criteria from us,” he said.
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
Uncertainty grips next year’s postponed Tokyo Olympic Games: Will there be fans or empty stadiums in 14 months? How will thousands of athletes, staff members and technical officials travel, be housed and stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic? And the Tokyo Games are not the only event. China, where COVID-19 was first detected, is to hold three mega-sports events in the year after the Tokyo Olympics are set to close. The World University Games in Chengdu, China, are to open, with up to 8,000 athletes, only 10 days after the Tokyo Games close. Next come the Beijing Winter Olympics beginning on Feb. 4, 2022,
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I
When South Korea’s domestic women’s golf tour held its premier event last week — without spectators because of the COVID-19 pandemic — no fewer than three of the world’s top 10 players took part. The country of 52 million people has a disproportionate share of the women’s world golf rankings, providing eight of the current top 20. In a demonstration of their prominence, South Korean women have won at least one major every season since 2010, with coronavirus cancellations perhaps the biggest threat to their run this year. The phenomenon, players and commentators have said, results from driven parents, intense training, a highly