Wed, Apr 28, 2010 - Page 19 News List

Sports Briefs

AGENCIES

■BASEBALL

Howard takes extension

Slugger Ryan Howard and the Philadelphia Phillies have agreed to a five-year contract extension worth at least US$125 million, a report on MLB.com said on Monday. The deal includes a club option for a sixth year and will pay the first baseman US$20 million for the 2012 and 2013 seasons and US$25 million for each season from 2014-2016. The richest deal ever handed out by the Phillies makes the 30-year-old Howard the second highest-paid player in the Major Leagues behind New York Yankees Alex Rodriguez.

■FOOTBALL

Steeler accepts suspension

Disgraced Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger says he won’t appeal his six-game suspension for violating the NFL’s conduct policy. Roethlisberger, who continually stressed he committed no crime, apologized to his teammates and Steeler fans for his behavior last month in a bar, where a 20-year-old college student accused him of sexual assault. The all-star quarterback also said he would not put himself in a situation like that again.

■FOOTBALL

Patriots release Thomas

The New England Patriots released former Pro Bowl linebacker Adalius Thomas after three mostly disappointing seasons, the NFL team said on its Web site on Monday. Thomas, who spent seven seasons with the Baltimore Ravens before signing with New England in 2007, failed to produce his Pro Bowl form with the Patriots. Set to earn US$4.9 million this year, Thomas had only three sacks last season when he was a healthy scratch for two games and sent home after showing up late for a team meeting.

■TENNIS

Tomic left out of team

Talented teenager Bernard Tomic has been omitted from Australia’s Davis Cup team for next month’s Asia-Oceania second round tie against Japan in Brisbane. The 17-year-old, widely touted in Australia as the heir apparent to former world No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt, became the country’s youngest Davis Cup player when he debuted with two singles victories against Taiwan last month. Team captain John Fitzgerald instead opted for world No. 72 Peter Luczak, 115th-ranked Carsten Ball and doubles specialist Paul Hanley.

■BOBSLEDDING

Medalist receives ban

Olympic medalist Randal Jones has been given a two-year ban for refusing an out-of-competition doping test. Jones, who won silver with the US’ four-man team at the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Games and another at the 2003 world championships, refused a US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) test on Jan. 26 citing his retirement from competition. However, the 40-year-old had failed to file proper paperwork to inform USADA of his retirement decision.

■SNOOKER

Murphy ends Ding’s hopes

Chinese No. 1 Ding Junhui crashed out of the World Championship on Monday as 2005 champion Shaun Murphy moved into the quarters with a 13-10 victory. Murphy now faces Ali Carter, who beat Joe Perry 13-11 in an all-English duel. Earlier, Ronnie O’Sullivan racked up three century breaks in the space of seven frames as the three-time champion powered past Mark Williams. The sport’s biggest star suddenly rediscovered his best form to clinch a 13-10 victory that set up a quarter-final meeting with Mark Selby, who completed a 13-5 win over seven-times champion Stephen Hendry.

This story has been viewed 1513 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top