The British Grand Prix was saved by a deal that will allow the oldest race on the Formula One calendar to carry on being staged at its traditional venue Silverstone, organizers announced yesterday.
Silverstone Circuits Limited said it had reached agreement with Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone on a contract that gives the Northamptonshire, England, track the right to host the race for the next 17 years.
Ecclestone announced last year that the British Grand Prix would be transferred from Silverstone to rival venue Donington Park from next year.
But Donington failed to raise the development funds it needed to be able to stage the race and, after missing a series of financial deadlines set by Ecclestone, fell out of the running in October.
That left F1 organizers with a choice between going back to Silverstone or the more lucrative option of moving the race to another country.
After weeks of negotiations over the terms and length of the contract, a deal was finally struck with Silverstone, two days before a deadline for next year’s race to be included in the Formula One calendar.
Silverstone managing director Richard Phillips said the length of the hosting contract had been crucial and that the undivulged cost of the concession would be manageable for the circuit.
“We’ve always had five-year deals and never been able to get the investment we needed to redevelop,” Phillips said. But 17 years gives us the ability to invest and move forward. We’ve always had the belief the British Grand Prix was an important cornerstone of Formula One but, with Bernie, you’re never quite sure.”
According to media reports, Ecclestone had been seeking a payment of £12 million (US$17.7 million) for the rights to next year’s race, with an annual increment of 7 percent used to calculate the cost of future races.
Damon Hill, the 1996 F1 driver’s champion and the President of The British Racing Drivers Club (BRDC), which owns Silverstone, welcomed the deal but admitted the venue would have to work hard.
“It’s a big commitment,” Hill said. “But the BRDC felt we wanted this relationship to continue, and we were prepared to back the negotiating team, with the level of risk satisfactory for the deal to go ahead.”
The first world championship British Grand Prix was held at Silverstone in 1950 and the venue has hosted most races since including all of them since 1987 when interchanging with Brands Hatch ended.
Ecclestone has, in the past, been severely critical of the venue, once claiming it was good it existed because it reminded fans “what watching motor racing was like in the old days.”
But he said he was happy with yesterday’s deal.
“This will ensure the British Grand Prix is included on the Formula 1 calendar for many years to come, which is something I’ve always wanted to happen,” he said.
Chen Jifang hits the gym for at least two hours every day and has the physique to prove it. At nearly 70, she is being held up as a shining example as China orders its vast population to get fit and lose the bulge. The grandmother from Shanghai has become a minor celebrity in in the past few months after her newfound and unlikely love for working out made national headlines. After becoming a gym regular in December 2018, Chen lost 14kg in three months, and now sports the kind of flat stomach and toned muscles that people decades younger aspire to. She
’SO CONSISTENT’: The victory gave the world No. 1 and world No. 2 a 21-1 win-loss record and their fourth title of the season after successes in Brisbane, Dubai and Doha Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Sunday cruised to their fourth women’s doubles title of the season at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome in their first tournament back since the suspension of the WTA Tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The top seeds took just 63 minutes to complete a comprehensive 6-2, 6-2 victory over unseeded German-Romanian duo Anna-Lena Friedsam and Raluca Olaru at the Foro Italico. It was the Taiwanese-Czech pairing’s first outing since they won the Qatar Open in February. “After five months, you don’t know what to expect,” Strycova told the WTA Web site.
‘GREAT EVENING‘: In the women’s singles in Rome, Simona Halep and Karolina Pliskova advanced, while Rafael Nadal swept into the quarters in the men’s singles Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Friday had to dig deep to advance to the semi-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. The top seeds, who did not drop a game in their opening match on the clay courts at the Foro Italico, battled to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 victory over sixth seeds Veronika Kudermetova and Katerina Siniakova in 1 hour, 39 minutes. The reigning Wimbledon champions saved nine of 11 break points and converted three of eight, winning 56 percent of points on their second serve and sending down two aces
ANOTHER SCANDAL: Searches focused on several riders, including Dayer Quintana, a source said, while the two being held were reportedly a doctor and physiotherapist French police on Monday detained two people as part of an investigation into suspected doping in the Arkea-Samsic team at this year’s Tour de France, prosecutors announced. The probe is the first significant one in several years for the repeatedly scandal-hit tour, which on Sunday wrapped up in Paris with a victory for 21-year-old Tadej Pogacar, who became the youngest winner in more than a century. Prosecutor Dominique Laurens in Marseille said in a statement that an investigation was being carried out into a “small part” of France-based Arkea-Samsic, without specifying who had been placed in custody. Laurens added that the two