Renault announced on Wednesday that Poland’s Robert Kubica would replace Ferrari-bound Fernando Alonso on the Formula One team next year.
A statement from the French team described the 24-year-old BMW Sauber driver as “one of the most talented drivers in Formula One who has already proved his skill and his ability to win races.”
“I’m very happy I will be joining Renault in the 2010 season,” Kubica said.
“I already enjoy privileged relations with the team having won the World Series by Renault in 2005. That victory gave me the opportunity to test for Renault in Barcelona which then enabled me to get a start in Formula One,” Kubica said. “I’m highly motivated and optimistic that together we can be at the front of the grid next year, and hopefully fighting for the world title.”
Kubica made his Formula One debut in Hungary in 2006, and has competed in 55 Grand Prix races, achieving his first win in Canada last year and eight podium finishes.
But he has struggled to rekindle that form this year after his team failed to provide him with a competitive car and he is currently 14th in the world championship standings with nine points.
The Pole, who is currently with the BMW Sauber team, joins promising young Frenchman Romain Grosjean.
Renault were left reeling from a suspended ban imposed last month in a race-fixing scandal that saw team chief Flavio Briatore resign in disgrace after ordering Nelson Piquet to crash deliberately last year.
However, team principal Bob Bell said he was optimistic for the future.
“We’re delighted to welcome Robert,” Bell said. “We’ve followed Robert’s career since he made his Formula One debut in 2006. He’s one of the most talented drivers of his generation.”
BMW Motorsport director Mario Theissen paid tribute to Kubica.
“He joined us in 2006 as a test driver with no Formula One experience, and then we promoted him to be one of our team’s drivers during that season,” Theissen said. “He never let us down.”