Wed, Jul 22, 2009 - Page 20 News List

Pacquiao and Cotto plan showdown for November in Vegas

AFP AND AP , LAS VEGAS AND SAN FRANCISCO

Filipino superstar Manny Pacquiao and three-time world champion Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico will meet in Las Vegas on Nov. 14, promoter Bob Arum announced on Monday.

“There’s no messing about with either of these guys, and that’s what’s so exciting,” Arum told reporters. “That’s why it’s an unbelievable fight, with two guys who really love to fight and don’t dance around.”

Pacquiao, considered the pound-for-pound world champion after flattening England’s Ricky Hatton in the second round in May, will meet Cotto after failed overtures from US veterans Shane Mosley and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

“Manny Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto have reached an agreement to fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on November 14,” said Arum, the promoter for both fighters.

Cotto agreed to contesting the fight at a weight limit of 145 pounds, two pounds below the welterweight maximum.

Pacquiao, 49-3 with two draws and 37 knockouts, has won world titles in a record-tying six weight classes from 112 to 140 pounds.

Last year, the flashy Filipino defeated Juan Manuel Marquez, David Diaz and Oscar de la Hoya. Pacquiao then continued his win streak to 10 fights by stopping Hatton in the second round.

Cotto, 34-1 with 27 knockouts, has defeated a host of top fighters including Mosley, Zab Judah and Joshua Clottey. Cotto’s only loss came last year to Mexico’s Antonio Margarito.

The announcement comes as a disappointment for World Boxing Association welterweight champion Mosley, 46-5 with 39 knockouts.

Mosley said he was willing to take only 40 percent of the purse and would agree to fight at the light-welterweight limit in order to strike a deal with Pacquiao.

CPBL

Yesterday’s result

• Uni-President Lions X, La New Bears X

Today’s game

• Sinon Bulls

v Brother Elephants

(Sinjhuang, 6:30pm)


This story has been viewed 1288 times.
TOP top