English cricket severed its ties with Texas billionaire Allen Stanford on Friday following accusations he was involved in an US$8 billion fraud.
Stanford last year launched the Stanford Super Series that culminated last November in England playing a West Indies side in a US$20 million winner-takes-all showdown in Antigua.
In a statement, the England and Wales Cricket Board said it had terminated its contracts with the Stanford group following a meeting of the executive committee on Friday.
It said England would not take part in any more Stanford Twenty20 matches in Antigua, while this year’s Stanford-sponsored international quadrangular event, scheduled to begin at Lord’s in May, would be canceled.
Stanford’s influence on English cricket and the glitzy one-off match in Antigua have been criticized by many within the game, while ECB chairman Giles Clarke has come in for media criticism over the relationship with the American.
Stanford’s personal conduct has also been criticized when he was filmed socializing with the wives and girlfriends of several England players in the stands.