Wed, Oct 08, 2008 - Page 19 News List

Sports Briefs

AGENCIES

■GOLF

Seve Ballesteros in hospital

Five-time major winner Seve Ballesteros was admitted to a Madrid hospital on Monday after feeling dizzy and fainting. Ballesteros was taken to La Paz hospital after briefly losing consciousness, the hospital said in a statement. His condition was stable, and he was undergoing diagnostic tests, the hospital said. No further information on his condition or treatment would be made available under instructions from Ballesteros’ family, the hospital said. The 51-year-old Ballesteros, who has a long history of back pain, officially retired from competition last year. He won the British Open three times and the Masters twice, and earned 50 victories on the European Tour. He was elected to the World Golf Hall of Fame in 1999.

■SOCCER

David Beckham suspended

David Beckham will miss the Los Angeles Galaxy’s last away game of the Major League Soccer season on Oct. 18 at Houston because of a mandatory one-game suspension for earning his fifth yellow card. Beckham was penalized in the Galaxy’s 1-0 loss at Columbus on Saturday. He won’t be available for Sunday’s home game against Colorado after being summoned by England for two World Cup qualifiers. Galaxy players Alan Gordon, Brandon McDonald and Greg Vanney also will be suspended for the game in Houston if they pick up a yellow card against Colorado.

■CRICKET

Ganguly to retire after series

Former India captain Sourav Ganguly said yesterday he would retire from international cricket at the end of the upcoming four-Test series against Australia. “This will be my last series,” Ganguly, 36, told reporters after a training session ahead of the first Test starting in Bangalore tomorrow. “Before coming here, I spoke to my teammates and hopefully I will go out with a winning knock.” Ganguly was a surprise inclusion for the first two Tests after being ignored for the five-day domestic Irani Cup tie last month, regarded as a trial match for the series. He was India’s most successful Test captain with 21 wins in 49 matches before he was sacked in 2005 following a public spat with then coach Greg Chappell. The elegant left-hander, who made his Test debut in 1996, has so far scored 6,888 runs in 109 Tests at an average of 41.74 with 15 centuries.

■BASEBALL

Venezuela mull WBC boycott

Leading Venezuela players are threatening to boycott next year’s World Baseball Classic unless team officials listen to their opinions. US-based stars Magglio Ordonez, Miguel Cabrera and Johan Santana were among several top players who believe local officials are ignoring them regarding the Classic. They and others also are unhappy over the reappointment of Luis Sojo as manager. “We haven’t been consulted regarding the important issues,” Cabrera told reporters on Monday. “We only want Venezuela to go to the Classic with the best coaches and players, but it’s necessary that we work together.” The dispute has drawn resignations from some of Venezuela’s organizing officials. One official, Eduardo Alvarez, resigned last week citing “differences with other members.” Some other representatives of the Venezuelan Professional Baseball League resigned from the organizing committee on Sunday, saying in a statement that their resignations were aimed at “bringing together Venezuela’s best team for the World Baseball Classic.”

This story has been viewed 1922 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top