Britain’s Darren Appleton beat Wu Chia-ching of Taiwan 13-11 to win the World 10-Ball Championship final in Manila on Sunday.
Appleton was in control at 6-1 by playing a good break and some safety shots, before Wu retaliated with three racks for a score of 6-4.
The British player, 32, then took three racks to move ahead 9-4.
Wu, the former eight and nine-ball world champion, came up with a sterling 14th rack victory to make the score 9-5. Then Wu, a left-handed pool player, struck four more racks to stay within striking distance.
Appleton played a tactical game to post 12-9. Wu had opportunities to tie the count, but had several miscues to trail 10-12.
On the 23rd rack, Wu pocketed a combination to stay in the hunt at 11-12, but on the 24th rack Wu made a dry break, allowing Appleton to win the match lasting almost four hours, 13-11.
“I have waited for six years to win the title,” Appleton said.
He said he had mixed feelings of joy and disappointment because his parents wanted him to concentrate on education, but he decided to go into sports instead.
After trying boxing and soccer, he decided to concentrate on pool, he said.
Asked what he would do with the US$100,000 grand prize, Appleton said: “First, I have to give some to my parents, because we had a difficult way of living.”
Wu, who had to settle for the runners-up prize of US$40,000, said: “I didn’t have a good break in the last game and that was crucial to me.”
A total of 128 players from 43 countries took part in the week-long inaugural World 10-Ball Championship.
Many professionals and amateurs have long had a preference for 10-Ball, in which the 10 is added to the nine-ball rack, making it less likely that any balls are pocketed off the break.
All shots must be called and, unlike in nine-ball, the 10 has to be last on the table when made — it cannot be made early off the break or in a combination shot.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also
PROUD, BUT BOWING OUT: The Dallas center missed all of 2018 due to Guillain-Barre syndrome, but Travis Frederick returned to be a standout again last season Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick on Monday stunningly announced his retirement. Frederick, who turned 29 on Wednesday last week, was a Pro Bowl selection in five of his six NFL seasons. Frederick revealed his retirement in a lengthy letter, beginning it by writing: “After much consideration, discussion, and reflection, I have decided to retire from football. This was not an easy decision.” Frederick cited his bout with autoimmune disease Guillain-Barre syndrome as a factor. He missed the 2018 season due to the illness in which the body’s immune system attacks the nervous system, but he returned to be a standout again last
Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert, whose positive COVID-19 test prompted the NBA to shut down its season, says that the coronavirus has caused him to lose his sense of smell. The Frenchman, whose defensive talents have earned him the nickname “Stifle Tower,” tested positive for COVID-19 on March 11, the result bringing the NBA season to an abrupt halt. In social media posts since then, the 27-year-old had said he was feeling better, but on Sunday he tweeted that he was experiencing one of the lesser-known symptoms of the illness. “Just to give you guys an update, loss of smell and taste is