New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori believes his side can still salvage something from their tour of England following their Test series defeat if they triumph in the upcoming one-dayears.
The Black Caps were thrashed by an innings and nine runs in the third Test at Trent Bridge on Sunday as they went down 2-0 in a three-match series.
It was the second match in a row where England had won with more than a day to spare and followed their 2-1 Test series win in New Zealand in March.
But the one-off Twenty20 clash at Old Trafford on June 13 and the five match limited overs series which starts two days later could well go New Zealand’s way.
The semi-finalists at last year’s World Cup, New Zealand defeated England 3-1 in a one-day series on home soil before the Test campaign got underway.
In hard-hitting wicket-keeper Brendon McCullum and all-rounder Scott Styris they have players who can turn a game and Vettori believes his largely inexperienced side are more suited to the 50-over format.
“We’re a lot more confident in that form, maybe because it’s shorter and we don’t have to perform for very long periods,” Vettori said.
But the left-arm spin bowler warned past performance was no guide to future success in the limited overs game.
“We know we have to pick it up though, because England do have the momentum, and their squad doesn’t change much and neither does ours. We have to be convincing if we’re to get anything out of this tour at all,” he said.
New Zealand coach John Bracewell said there was no alternative but to be patient with the current crop of players.
“We can’t afford to panic,” said the former Test off-spinner. “Our cupboard isn’t that full but I think we’ve picked the right guys. We’ve just got to keep exposing them to international cricket.”
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker found himself in need of an assist to help the state fight the COVID-19 pandemic. He called on the New England Patriots. One of the team’s private airplanes on Thursday evening landed in Boston after returning from China carrying more than 1 million masks critical to healthcare providers fighting to control the spread of the coronavirus. Members of the Massachusetts National Guard met the airplane and offloaded the containers of masks onto waiting trucks for transport to warehouses for distribution. Baker secured the N95 masks from Chinese manufacturers, but had no way of getting them to the US. He
WAIT AND SEE: The estimated cost of postponement started at US$2 billion and has kept rising, but the IOC has yet to say whether it would help pay for the extra expenses Postponing the Tokyo Olympics to next year would make the event more costly for all parties, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) acknowledged on Thursday, although it offered few details on what the final bill might be. Four directors of the Olympic body held a conference call three days after Tokyo’s new dates were finalized, with the Games pushed back to July 23 to Aug. 8 next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. While the new dates cleared up any uncertainty about the event’s future, there are still plenty of question marks as the committee begins to work with Tokyo organizers and the
MEDIA RUMORS? With no pay agreement secured and players’ representatives calling for more financial information ahead of talks, the sport had another week of bad press Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle could be sacked in a matter of days, media reported yesterday, as the embattled governing body struggles to deal with a financial crisis compounded by a shutdown amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Castle this week took a 50 percent pay cut and laid off 75 percent of Rugby Australia (RA) staff members, saying that the body would face losses of up to A$120 million (US$71.95 million) if no more rugby was played this year. With no pay agreement secured with the players and their representatives calling on RA to provide more financial information ahead of negotiations, the
OLYMPICS Delay pushes rower to retire British rowing gold medalist Tom Ransley on Friday announced his retirement after deciding that the postponement of the Tokyo Olympic Games to next year was a step too far. The 34-year-old was part of the men’s eight who won gold in the 2016 Rio Olympics and also a bronze in the 2012 London Games. “I have used up everything I had and I know that to get myself in the necessary condition to compete for a seat in 2021 is a step too far,” he told the BBC. The years of early starts, of three training