Austria and Germany will play each other on June 16 in a Euro 2008 group stage match in Vienna, seventy years after Nazi Germany occupied its smaller neighbor, putting an end to its soccer greatness.
The Austrian Wunderteam of the 1930s had been legendary, scoring success after success. But after the 1938 Anschluss which turned Austria into a mere province of the Reich, players from both sides found themselves drafted into a unified team.
The Austrians would still manage to defeat their northern neighbors 2-0 on April 3, 1938, in what was tipped by Nazi propaganda as a “reconciliation match” between the two sides.
The victory, led by captain Matthias Sindelar, came three weeks after Hitler’s troops entered his homeland on March 12, and a week before Austrians voted overwhelmingly in an April 10 referendum to become part of the Reich.
Unifying the German and Austrian teams, which respectively finished 3rd and 4th in the 1934 World Cup, could have been an inspired move. But the World Cup in France in June 1938 proved a fiasco for the Nazi leaders, who had shown their willingness to use sports for propaganda purposes during the 1936 Olympics in Berlin.
With little time to prepare, German coach Sepp Herberger was unable to integrate the Austrians’ so-called Scheiberlspiel, consisting of short passes and dribbling, into the Germans’ game.
“And there wasn’t really any team spirit due to national rivalries,” adds Matthias Marschik, an expert on Austrian soccer during the Nazi period.
The joint German-Austrian team lost to Switzerland in the first round.
The Anschluss also spelt the end of the Austrian soccer league. Local teams were drafted into German tournaments where they scored several successes: Rapid Vienna and FC Vienna won the German Cup respectively in 1938 and 1943, while Rapid also took the German Championship in 1941.
Jews however were slowly shut out under the Nazis’ racial policies. Starting in June 1938, they were no longer allowed into stadia, whether as players or as spectators. Vienna’s Jewish soccer club Hakoah, which had won the Austrian championship in 1925, was dispossessed.
The Austrian soccer federation, which had been dissolved in 1941, reformed and the championship resumed in 1946. But not all clubs were able to pick up where they had left off: 65,000 Austrian Jews had been murdered since 1938, 130,000 were exiled and Hakoah’s soccer club was unable to survive.
Now Hakoah has a new sports center in the exact location where its former stadium stood before it was “aryanised” by the Nazis. It was inaugurated in March, a symbolic tribute 70 years after Germany’s annexation of Austria.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also
PROUD, BUT BOWING OUT: The Dallas center missed all of 2018 due to Guillain-Barre syndrome, but Travis Frederick returned to be a standout again last season Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick on Monday stunningly announced his retirement. Frederick, who turned 29 on Wednesday last week, was a Pro Bowl selection in five of his six NFL seasons. Frederick revealed his retirement in a lengthy letter, beginning it by writing: “After much consideration, discussion, and reflection, I have decided to retire from football. This was not an easy decision.” Frederick cited his bout with autoimmune disease Guillain-Barre syndrome as a factor. He missed the 2018 season due to the illness in which the body’s immune system attacks the nervous system, but he returned to be a standout again last
When two Spanish soccer players took to the controls of FIFA 20 after the COVID-19 pandemic saw their La Liga match canceled, a stadium-sized virtual audience watched online. The huge digital crowd last week is part of a spectacular boom for the digital gaming industry, as record numbers flock to online servers for distraction, entertainment and friendship with the “real world” seemingly falling apart. Real Betis Balompie striker Borja Iglesias kicked the winning goal using his own digital likeness in the 6-5 battle against Sevilla, which was broadcast on popular video game streaming platform Twitch. It took place at the same time the