Tue, May 13, 2008 - Page 19 News List

NHL: With Talbot back on ice, Penguins beat the Flyers


Pittsburgh Penguins forward Jordan Staal, right, skates past Philadelphia Flyers forward Mike Richards, No. 18, to score an empty-net goal during the third period in Game 2 of the NHL Eastern Conference finals in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on Sunday.


Maxime Talbot, back after missing three games because of injury, snapped a tie in the third period on Sunday as the Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Philadelphia Flyers 4-2 in the NHL playoffs.

Captain Sidney Crosby and All-Star Marian Hossa each scored a power-play goal and defenseman Sergei Gonchar had three assists for the Penguins, who took a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven Eastern Conference final series that will send the winner to the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Jordan Staal added an empty-net goal with 29 seconds to play and Marc-Andre Fleury made 30 saves for the Penguins, who set a club record by winning their first seven games at home this postseason.

Jeff Carter scored a power-play goal and All-Star Mike Richards added a shorthanded tally for the Flyers, who host game three last Tuesday.

With the teams tied at 2-2 midway through the third period, the Penguins’ fourth line produced the eventual game-winning goal.

Veteran Gary Roberts collected a loose puck from behind the net and backhanded a feed to the slot where Talbot unleashed a shot past Martin Biron for his second goal of the playoffs.

The Flyers lost their second defenseman of the series to injury just 1:51 into contest when Braydon Coburn was on the receiving end of a puck to the face.

Veteran defenseman Hal Gill blasted a shot from the left point which deflected off All-Star Evgeni Malkin’s stick and into the face of Coburn, who immediately fell to the ice bleeding profusely.

Prior to the start of the series, All-Star defenseman Kimmo Timonen was diagnosed with a blood clot in his left foot that will sideline him for the series.

This story has been viewed 1523 times.
TOP top