McLaren boss Ron Dennis on Thursday insisted he had no involvement in the sex-sting that led to lurid allegations about the private life of international motorsports federation (FIA) president Max Mosley.
Dennis has been forced to make his position clear following an apparent assertion on a Prague radio station made by Czech Automobile Association general secretary Radovan Novak.
Novak, an ally and friend of Mosley who is fighting to stay in office, has suggested the newspaper story may be linked to the spying scandal involving McLaren.
Film of Mosley cavorting with five prostitutes, was widely viewed on the Web site of the British tabloid News of the World.
Dennis’ teams were fined US$100 million and stripped of all constructors’ points last year after they were found guilty of being in unauthorized possession of technical information belonging to bitter rivals Ferrari.
But in a statement, Dennis said: “As I have consistently said whenever I have been asked about this, I categorically deny that I have anything to do with the News of the World investigation into Mr Mosley.”
“Neither does anyone connected with the McLaren Group or the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team, and neither does any agent or any other party acting on my behalf or anyone connected with the McLaren Group or the team,” the statement said.
Dennis will now be seeking an explanation from Novak, adding: “We are writing to Mr Novak and are currently considering the appropriate route via which the remarks that have been attributed to him may be withdrawn or corrected.”
Mosley faces an extraordinary hearing of the FIA’s general assembly in Paris on June 3 during which a vote of confidence will be taken.
The 68-year-old is also seeking unlimited damages from the Sunday tabloid, specifically objecting to a Nazi element in their articles he insists is “pure fabrication.”