Cricket Australia will continue to monitor the security situation in Pakistan before deciding whether its tour next month will proceed, amid reports that players will boycott the trip regardless of the decision.
The Australian newspaper reported yesterday that most of Australia's senior players had made it privately clear they would pull out of any visit to Pakistan. Australia are due to leave in the second week of next month for three Tests, five one-day matches and a Twenty20 game in Pakistan.
Australia captain Ricky Ponting later said "there is no doubt at all that in our dressing room there are some concerns."
"Anybody that would be touring Pakistan at the moment, whether they be a cricketer or a day-to-day citizen, would have concerns," he said.
Pakistan organizers do not want to play the series on neutral turf and have offered fewer venues with upgraded security for the tour.
Cricket Australia spokesman Peter Young said further security assessments needed to be made.
"We are aware of [the players'] concerns and we share those concerns, and we won't be sending our players anywhere that isn't safe," Young said. "We have to assess what is going on, but we have a good track record of getting things right and also of demonstrating that we can make hard decisions."
Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said Australia have not toured Pakistan for 10 years and wanted to go if the circumstances were right.
"We need Pakistan cricket to be strong and healthy if we are to have a genuinely global sport," Sutherland said.
Parliamentary elections will be held on Monday in Pakistan and campaigning has been hit by suicide bombings and bomb attacks.
Cricket Australia and representatives of the Australian Cricketers Association are due to visit Pakistan after the elections for a security assessment.
Independent security experts advised Cricket Australia against touring Pakistan.
DRIVING AMBITION: ‘I was excited by playing at the Olympics ... Who knows what’s going to happen? Hopefully, I could have a chance to win a medal,’ Tiffany Chan said After just three tournaments this year, a chance of Olympic glory postponed and two weeks alone in quarantine, golfer Tiffany Chan could be forgiven for feeling sorry for herself. Instead, Hong Kong’s first LPGA Tour player is sporting a broad grin and taking the positives from the game’s COVID-19 shutdown, determined to establish herself in the fiercely competitive world of women’s golf. The talented 26-year-old kept herself fit physically and mentally during the lockdown, and is happy to be back on the fairways since the easing of coronavirus restrictions last month. “When I came back to Hong Kong [in March], I actually did
Eleven-year-old skateboarder Sky Brown, who is hoping to become Britain’s youngest Olympian next year, fractured her skull and broke bones in her left hand after falling from a ramp during a training session in California. Brown posted a video of the accident on Instagram, but reassured supporters that she was fine. “I don’t usually post my falls or talk about them ... but this was my worst fall. I just want everyone to know that it’s OK — don’t worry, I’m OK,” she said. “I’m going to push boundaries for girls with my skating and surfing. I’m going for gold in 2021
It is the land of the world champions, but is it really a soccer country? That is the question that some in France have been asking this week while its European neighbors work to bring the sport back after the COVID-19 shutdown. Debate has raged ever since Ligue 1 decided in late April to bring a premature end to the season with 10 rounds of matches unplayed. By contrast, two weeks have passed since the Bundesliga restarted, while Italian Minister for Sport Vincenzo Spadafora on Thursday confirmed that Serie A would return on June 20, and La Liga and the English Premier
A feel-good campaign allowing fans to have cardboard cutouts of themselves at Australian rugby league games has been hijacked by pranksters, with a notorious serial killer among those making an appearance — while one TV show edited an image of Adolf Hitler into the crowd. The NRL launched “Fan In The Stand” to coincide with the sport’s return at the weekend after its season was put on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Supporters are barred from stadiums under strict health protocols, but can pay A$22 (US$15) to have their photograph printed on a life-size cutout and placed in the stands of