Former champion J.B. Holmes shot a 6-under 65 to share the lead with Doug LaBelle II at 9-under 133 among players who finished the second round at the FBR Open on Friday.
LaBelle shot a 64.
A 90-minute frost delay to start the day left 45 golfers on the course when play was halted because of darkness.
One of them, Camilo Villegas, was tied for the lead at 9 under through 12 holes. Two were at 8 under on the course -- Bill Haas through 13 holes and Ben Crane through 14.
They will complete the round on Saturday before the cut is made, then the third round will begin.
Pat Perez and Nick O'Hern shot 65s and were one behind the leaders at 8 under. Charles Howell III, Stuart Appleby, Briny Baird and Robert Allenby were 7 under.
Two-time champion Phil Mickelson had four birdies, but three-putted from 7 feet for a double bogey on the par-4, 464-yard ninth hole. He came back to sink a short birdie putt on the par-5 13th and chip in for birdie on the par-4 14th. Mickelson was 5 under, four shots off the lead, through 14 holes.
With the Super Bowl in nearby Glendale drawing even more interest to the crowded, rowdy party that is the FBR Open, a record second-round crowd of 120,891 attended on another clear, crisp day.
Temperatures rose from below freezing at sunrise to about 15oC at mid-afternoon.
The Thursday crowd was an opening-round record 83,657. The Saturday turnout could break the event's overall record of 168,337, set in the third round of the 2006 event in the wide open spaces of TPC Scottsdale.
Kevin Sutherland, who shared the first-round lead with Charles Warren, shot a 72 and was 5 under. Warren was 6 under through 12 holes.
Holmes' 2006 victory came in his fourth tournament on the tour. It remains his lone US PGA Tour triumph.
"It happened so quickly, and not saying I did it with ease, but I won by several shots," he said, "and I was saying `Well, maybe just keep it going' and I just kind of fell into a little bit of a slump."
His 6-under 65 marked the seventh time he has shot in the 60s in eight rounds at the FBR.
A professional soccer team in South Korea apologized after “mannequins” used as substitute fans during a match on Sunday turned out to be sex dolls. K League 1 club Seoul said that the dolls, which had been dotted around stands off-limits to supporters due to the COVID-19 pandemic, had been ordered inadvertently after a “misunderstanding” with the supplier. Earlier this month, the K League became the first major soccer league to hold matches since the start of the pandemic, with the season’s opening game watched by a worldwide audience of fans, but Seoul’s attempt to bring a touch of realism to Sunday’s
It is known as the “May 19 Incident” and by some estimations it still haunts China’s national soccer team 35 years on. On May 19, 1985, China were stunned 2-1 at home by neighbors Hong Kong, then still under British rule, on one of the most infamous nights in Chinese soccer history. It is notorious not just because China’s hopes of qualifying for the FIFA World Cup for the first time ended in calamity. After the match, fans in Beijing rioted, smashing up vehicles, attacking buses, and threatening foreign journalists and diplomatic staff. It began an intense rivalry between the two teams which
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I