Four days before the opening match of the rugby World Cup, a global coalition representing news agencies and newspapers was still at odds with the International Rugby Board (IRB) concerning coverage of the event.
Despite progress on several fronts over the last two weeks, two points of contention concerning photographs remain -- how many can be published on Web sites during a World Cup match and whether the IRB is entitled to use media photos freely once the tournament is over.
"Serious issues remain that may have an impact of news coverage of rugby's World Cup," the coalition said on Monday in a statement.
The World Cup starts on Friday at the Stade de France near Paris. There are 20 teams competing for a spot in the final on Oct. 20.
The coalition represents The Associated Press, Agence France-Presse, Reuters, DPA and Getty, as well as a number of leading international newspapers.
At an Aug. 21 meeting in Dublin, the coalition requested that Web sites be allowed to publish a maximum of one photo per second during each match. The IRB did not reject the proposal.
But in a subsequent letter to the media coalition, the IRB said only 40 to 50 photos would be allowed to be published on Web sites per match, far less than what the coalition wanted. On Monday, journalists picking up accreditations in France were asked to sign terms and conditions that said only 10 to 12 photos could be published per match.
"In all other tournaments we've had it's been five to eight photos," IRB head of communications Greg Thomas said on Sunday night in a telephone interview with the AP. "Our last World Cup was five or six per half. We have agreed to increase that 400 percent."
The International Olympic Committee allows media to send unlimited amounts of photos and text during its events, and FIFA repealed the restrictions it had on photos for the last soccer World Cup.
The other issue concerns copyrighted photos. The IRB wanted the right to use any photos taken at the World Cup for its own purposes free of charge and without signing a license.
"The coalition has offered to give favorable consideration to IRB requests [for a license] for photos -- which the IRB verbally accepted in a meeting, though it later reversed itself and insisted that the news media be obligated to allow the IRB use of copyrighted photos," the coalition said.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Friday said that he had called in the “third umpire” as he announced that recreational cricket would be allowed to resume next weekend. In a radio interview earlier on Friday, Johnson angered thousands of club cricketers by saying that the amateur game was still not safe to play amid the COVID-19 pandemic because of issues surrounding communal teas and dressing rooms. “It’s the teas, it’s the changing rooms and so on and so forth. There are other factors involved that generate proximity which you might not get in a game of tennis,” he said. Johnson had already
Hong Kong media reported that police briefly detained a man in a Liverpool team jersey who shouted “long live Liverpool” during anti-government protests on Wednesday, over suspicion that he was inciting independence. In-Media reported that the man was across the street from police officers who were conducting stop-and-searches on a group of protesters, when he shouted: “Long live Liverpool.” Others reportedly cheered and joined in the chant, before officers detained him. The man told In-Media that police had accused him of inciting Hong Kong independence, which now is a punishable crime. He said that he has been a fan of the English soccer
Indian police are investigating an alleged betting scandal in which a sham cricket tournament was held in an Indian village and passed off as a Twenty20 contest played in Sri Lanka. Players portrayed as Sri Lankan cricketers played two matches on Monday last week that were broadcast with live commentary on YouTube, media reports said, along with ball-by-ball coverage on top Indian sports Web sites. The organizers hung Sri Lankan advertisements at the ground for added authenticity and put up tents to block the view from outside the remote rural venue, set in farmland next to a busy highway. Police said that they
Raptors guard Fred VanVleet is already in Florida with the rest of his Toronto teammates, and he knows the time to take a stand and counter the NBA plan to restart the season has passed, but his opinion on the matter has not changed. “It sucks,” VanVleet said on Monday in a videoconference of his choice to return to the court during the COVID-19 pandemic and Black Lives Matter campaign. “It’s terrible timing, but that’s been 2020 for us. We all know the right thing to do is to not play, to take a stand. Morally, yes, that makes sense, but