Juli Inkster of the US set up the chance to become the oldest winner on the LPGA Tour when she moved into a two-shot lead after a third round 69 at the Evian Masters on Saturday.
But it was a disheartening day for Michelle Wie, the 17-year-old who has finished runner-up for the past two years. The US player shot the worst score of the day -- an 84 -- and was 69th of the 72 qualifiers on 12 over par.
The 47-year-old Inkster's wisdom helped turn a difficult day of gusting winds and firm greens into a chance of repeating her 2003 victory and joining Annika Sorenstam, Laura Davies and Helen Alfredsson as a two-time Masters champion.
With a six-under-par 210, Inkster led by two from South Korea's Jang Jeong, who had a 72, with US player Diana D'Alessio (76), Sweden's Sophie Gustafson (72) and South Korean Shin Ji-yai (70) tied for third on three under.
Sorenstam birdied two of the final three holes to stay in contention on two under after a 74, while Davies also shot two over on the day and was on one under and alongside Australia's defending champion, Karrie Webb (73).
The oldest winner on the tour was Beth Daniel, who was 46 when she captured the Canadian Open in 2003.
This is only Wie's fifth tournament of a year as she has been forced to cope with a wrist injury. She has pulled out twice before even completing 36 holes, most recently when she was 17 over par after 27 holes at the US Women's Open last month.
The youngster from Hawaii refused to use the wrist as an excuse, but did admit to feelings of utter frustration in the week before she heads to the stiff test of the a major, the Women's British Open at St Andrews.
"My body just wouldn't do what my mind wanted," said Wie, whose second round 71 was her first sub-par round since she shot 68 on the last day at Evian 12 months ago.
Inkster has won 31 times, including seven majors, in her impressive 24-year LPGA career and she attributed her surge to an improvement with the putter.
"My putting's been horrible for the past month but I had a lesson from Stan Utley [a former Tour professional] in Phoenix last week and I holed some good ones today," she said.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
DISSENT: The US track and field body joined sports officials in Norway and Brazil, as well as Indian athletes, in calling on the IOC to postpone the Tokyo Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 organizers have started drafting possible alternatives to holding the Olympics this summer, two sources familiar with the talks said, in contrast to the Japanese government’s stance that postponement is not an option. While the COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted sports events around the world, Japan has been steadfast in saying that the Games would go on. A Japanese government spokesman on Wednesday said that Tokyo was not preparing for postponement. “Finally, we have been asked to make a simulation in case of a postponement,” said one of the sources, an official close to the organizing committee who is involved in drafting the
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also
PROUD, BUT BOWING OUT: The Dallas center missed all of 2018 due to Guillain-Barre syndrome, but Travis Frederick returned to be a standout again last season Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick on Monday stunningly announced his retirement. Frederick, who turned 29 on Wednesday last week, was a Pro Bowl selection in five of his six NFL seasons. Frederick revealed his retirement in a lengthy letter, beginning it by writing: “After much consideration, discussion, and reflection, I have decided to retire from football. This was not an easy decision.” Frederick cited his bout with autoimmune disease Guillain-Barre syndrome as a factor. He missed the 2018 season due to the illness in which the body’s immune system attacks the nervous system, but he returned to be a standout again last