Francesco Totti's yearlong sabbatical from Italy's national team has turned into permanent retirement.
The 30-year-old AS Roma playmaker announced on Friday he will not return for Italy because his body can't support playing for both club and country anymore.
"To continue playing at this level I have to give something up, unfortunately," Totti said during a news conference at Roma's training center. "I can't play 50 to 60 games a year anymore."
Totti broke his left leg and strained ligaments in his ankle while playing for Roma in February last year. He played all of last season with a metal rod and about 10 support screws inside his left ankle.
He also had back trouble last season.
"I've made this decision for various physical reasons and not technical," Totti said. "I'm very sorry but it's the best thing for me because my health is most important."
Italy team manager Luigi Riva recalled how Totti hurried back from surgery to make the World Cup squad.
"We should just thank him for what he's done for Italy, the sacrifice he made to be present at the World Cup," Riva said. "After the injury we were all worried, because all he needed was a slight twist to create another serious injury. Francesco leaves with his head held high."
Totti hasn't played for the Azzurri since the World Cup final against France last year. He said after the World Cup that he needed to take a break from the national team to let his ankle heal.
Totti denied reports that he had offered to return on a part-time basis, a proposal Italian media said had been rejected by the Italian soccer federation.
"I've never asked to play part time," Totti said. "Roma and my health are my priorities."
Totti formed a special bond with Marcello Lippi when the former Italy coach visited him in his hospital room after surgery. Lippi told Totti he would keep his position open on the World Cup roster.
"That's not something you forget," Totti said. "I had a special relationship with Lippi. He's someone you can trust."
Lippi resigned after the World Cup and Totti has never played for current Italy coach Roberto Donadoni.
"I can't judge Donadoni because we've never been together for two days," Totti said. "But we have a good relationship on the telephone."
Totti said he informed Donadoni of his decision several days ago.
Asked if he might consider replicating how Zinedine Zidane retired from France's team and then returned to help the team qualify for the World Cup, Totti left it open.
"If I lose my head one day and they still want me you never know," he said. "But right now this is my decision."
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I
Uncertainty grips next year’s postponed Tokyo Olympic Games: Will there be fans or empty stadiums in 14 months? How will thousands of athletes, staff members and technical officials travel, be housed and stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic? And the Tokyo Games are not the only event. China, where COVID-19 was first detected, is to hold three mega-sports events in the year after the Tokyo Olympics are set to close. The World University Games in Chengdu, China, are to open, with up to 8,000 athletes, only 10 days after the Tokyo Games close. Next come the Beijing Winter Olympics beginning on Feb. 4, 2022,
When South Korea’s domestic women’s golf tour held its premier event last week — without spectators because of the COVID-19 pandemic — no fewer than three of the world’s top 10 players took part. The country of 52 million people has a disproportionate share of the women’s world golf rankings, providing eight of the current top 20. In a demonstration of their prominence, South Korean women have won at least one major every season since 2010, with coronavirus cancellations perhaps the biggest threat to their run this year. The phenomenon, players and commentators have said, results from driven parents, intense training, a highly