Marat Safin advanced to the quarter-finals of the Countrywide Classic with a 6-2, 2-6, 6-4 victory over George Bastl on Wednesday.
Safin, the No. 3 seed, got past the second round of the tournament for the first time in four tries and is on course for a possible semi-final meeting with No. 2 seed James Blake.
They are the highest seeds remaining following No. 1 Fernando Gonzalez's loss to Zack Fleishman on Tuesday.
A former world No. 1, the 27-year-old Safin finally took control of the match at the Los Angeles Tennis Center at UCLA midway through the final set. He got a service break to take a 4-3 lead, then fought off three break points and held serve with a 209kph ace to go up 5-3. He got the win when Bastl, of Switzerland, hit a forehand return long.
Safin was joined in the quarter-finals by Nicolas Kiefer, who continued his comeback from wrist surgery with an efficient 6-3, 6-2 win over Igor Kunitsyn. It was just Kiefer's second hardcourt match in more than a year.
In the quarter-finals today, Kiefer will face fellow German Michael Berrer, who advanced with a 6-3, 7-5 win over qualifier Ricardo Mello of Brazil.
Also through to the quarter-finals is Korea's No. 1 player, Lee Hyung-taik, the No. 7 seed. He beat Wesley Moodie, who retired with a back problem while trailing 6-2, 3-0. Lee had won seven games in a row at that juncture, and had lost just one point in the second set.
Berrer, 27, advanced to his first career quarter-final earlier this year and moved into the top 100 in the rankings just before Wimbledon. He opened the tournament on Monday with an upset of No. 8 seed Amer Delic and is now 6-6 this year.
Kiefer, meanwhile, is 4-3 on the year and 2-0 on hardcourts, a surface he hadn't played on since mid-March of last year. The German star fell on his left wrist at the French Open later that year, and was idle from June 2, last year, to June 11 of this year while undergoing two surgeries and a lengthy rehabilitation.
Kiefer said there were "good parts and bad parts" to his time off. To offset some days when he was "very down and depressed," he found inspiration in working with seriously ill children and the organizations that assist them.
"I helped them raise some money, but they helped me much more," said Kiefer, 30, who was No. 4 in the world in January 2000. "I could see how bad they are and I had only my wrist injured. So I knew it could take one year, it could take two years, but I could play again."
Ferrer dumped out by Verdasco
Defending champion David Ferrer crashed out of Stuttgart's ATP tournament on Wednesday when he was beaten in the second round by fellow Spaniard Fernando Verdasco in straight sets.
Ferrer, 15th on the ATP rankings, was broken in the eighth game of the first set and although he broke back immediately, Verdasco went on to take the first set 7-5 after a huge struggle.
Fourth-seed Ferrer, 25, was also knocked out of Roland Garros early on by Verdasco in the pair's only other meeting this year -- also on clay -- and after his opponent broke him three times in the second set, the defending champion went down 7-5, 6-3.
Having won the ATP tournament in Bastad, Sweden, ten days ago, this was a bitter blow for Ferrer and Verdasco, 23, will now face seventh seed Juan Ignacio Chela in the third round.
Meanwhile earlier on Wednesday, seventh-seed Chela toiled on court for nearly three hours before defeating Serb qualifier Boris Pashanski 7-5, 4-6, 6-4 to reach his eighth quarter-final of the season.
Chela, who won his fourth career title in Acapulco earlier in the year, is 19th in the ATP Rankings, just four places below his career-high mark.
Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka, who had just three ATP match wins this year before this week, reached his first quarter-final of the season with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Croatian qualifier Marin Cilic.
Czech qualifier Jiri Vanek rallied from a heavy first-set loss to defeat Gael Monfils 1-6, 7-6(4) 6-2, avenging his loss to the Frenchman in Gstaad last week.
Vanek reached his first quarter-final of the year and faces Wawrinka in the third round.
Mirza through to quarter-finals
Third-seeded Sania Mirza of India became the first quarter-finalist at the Western and Southern Financial Group Women's Open on Wednesday with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Varvara Lepchenko of Uzbekistan.
"When I set up my schedule this year, I wanted to skip Cincinnati, but my dad [Imran] said, `You always play well in Cincinnati,'" Mirza said. "I like the heat. It feels a lot like India when I play here."
Mirza will make her third quarter-finals appearance in three visits to the tournament. She lost last year to this year's second seed and the 2005 champion, Patty Schnyder, and to seventh-seeded Akiko Morigami in 2005.
Top-seeded Anna Chakvetadze of Russia also moved into the quarter-finals with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over qualifier Anda Perianu of Romania in the only evening singles match. The eighth-ranked Chakvetadze, who fell behind 0-4 before winning 12 straight games in her opener on Tuesday, trailed 3-1 on Wednesday before regaining form.
No. 2 seed Mueller advances
Second-seeded Martina Mueller advanced to the quarter-finals of the Palermo International on Wednesday with a comfortable 6-2, 6-1 win over Conchita Martinez Granados.
It's only the second time this year that the 34th-ranked German has won consecutive matches.
Italian wild card Sara Errani also reached the quarter-finals, beating Eva Birnerova of the Czech Republic 6-2, 6-0.
The NBA said was re-evaluating its training program in China following allegations of abuse of young players by local staff and harassment of foreign staffers at a facility in Xinjiang. The comments come after a report by ESPN that quoted unnamed American coaches as saying that Chinese coaches hit young players. One American coach who worked at a camp in Xinjiang complained of harassment by local police, the sports network said. “The allegations in the ESPN article are disturbing,” NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum said in an e-mail statement on Thursday. “We ended our involvement with the basketball academy in Xinjiang in June
Coming from the business world, New York Liberty owner Joe Tsai (蔡崇信) did not understand why his WNBA franchise did not have a chief executive officer similar to the team’s NBA counterpart the Brooklyn Nets, which Tsai also owns. For Tsai, it was about equality, so he did something about it. The 56-year-old Taipei-born billionaire businessman and philanthropist promoted Keia Clarke to the position last week — making her the first chief executive officer in the team’s history. The WNBA veteran became the third black woman to currently be in charge of a franchise in the league, joining Los Angeles Sparks president
LEAVING IT LATE: Rakuten added late runs last night to add to wins on Wednesday against the Brothers and the Lions on Friday that went down to the last batter The Rakuten Monkeys rallied to post three late runs for another close win, prevailing 5-3 over the Uni-President Lions yesterday as Taiwan’s second-half CPBL season got started with lower scoring output, but exciting finishes. It was Rakuten’s third win in a row. In two games this week, they seized victory in dramatic fashion with their last at-bat and have drawn level with the CTBC Brothers on top of the table after yesterday’s results, 0.5 games in front of the Fubon Guardians and 1.5 games ahead of the Lions. It was tied at 1-1 early, with Rakuten hosting the Lions at the Taoyuan Intenational
MONEY MATTERS: While COVID-19 played a major role in the decision, the CTBA also found it hard to secure sponsorship, and ticket sales would have been affected The Yonex Taipei Open badminton tournament has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and a funding shortfall, the CTBA said yesterday. This was the first time that the tournament, a Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Tour Super 300-level competition, has been canceled since it began in 1980. The Taipei Open has been held annually since 1980. The tournament was to be played at the Taipei Arena from Sept. 1 to Sept. 6, with total prize money of US$500,000. The CTBA said that it was deeply concerned about whether the Taipei Open would proceed as scheduled after the BWF announced changes