A sexual harassment case involving a teenage Chinese woman pool player took a new twist yesterday amid charges that top officials tried to silence her and also siphoned off training funds.
At a press conference on Monday, Zhou Ruixin (周瑞新), who runs a Shanghai pool hall, said officials had retaliated against his daughter for blowing the whistle on sexual harassment while they had also pocketed thousands of dollars in cash from sports ministry funds.
"Some leading officials at the Multi-ball Games Administration Center did things that cannot bear the light of day," Zhou was quoted as saying in the China Daily.
The center, under the sports ministry, is responsible for cue sports such as pool, billiards and snooker.
The sexual harassment case blew up in December when Zhou Mengmeng, 19, (周萌萌) told the media she had been harassed and beaten by Tian Pengfei (田鵬飛), a double gold medalist in snooker at the Asian Games, according to media reports..
Following an investigation, China's sports ministry decided last month to ban both players for a year, punishing Zhou for speaking out to the media about the incident that took place at the Asian Games in Doha.
At Monday's press conference in Shanghai, her father said that sports officials had also blocked his daughter from travelling abroad, intervening to stop her from obtaining a visa to play in the US.
He also made graft charges against a unnamed top official from the center.
Zhou said four pool players, a coach and a senior official visited Shanghai in August to train for the Doha Asian Games.
He said that hotel bills for the trip were inflated by almost US$3,000.
"They cooked accounts and likely took possession of training funds allotted by the country for the Doha Asian Games worth 22,400 yuan [US$2,870]," Zhou said.
‘GREAT EVENING‘: In the women’s singles in Rome, Simona Halep and Karolina Pliskova advanced, while Rafael Nadal swept into the quarters in the men’s singles Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Friday had to dig deep to advance to the semi-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. The top seeds, who did not drop a game in their opening match on the clay courts at the Foro Italico, battled to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 victory over sixth seeds Veronika Kudermetova and Katerina Siniakova in 1 hour, 39 minutes. The reigning Wimbledon champions saved nine of 11 break points and converted three of eight, winning 56 percent of points on their second serve and sending down two aces
’SO CONSISTENT’: The victory gave the world No. 1 and world No. 2 a 21-1 win-loss record and their fourth title of the season after successes in Brisbane, Dubai and Doha Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Sunday cruised to their fourth women’s doubles title of the season at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome in their first tournament back since the suspension of the WTA Tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The top seeds took just 63 minutes to complete a comprehensive 6-2, 6-2 victory over unseeded German-Romanian duo Anna-Lena Friedsam and Raluca Olaru at the Foro Italico. It was the Taiwanese-Czech pairing’s first outing since they won the Qatar Open in February. “After five months, you don’t know what to expect,” Strycova told the WTA Web site.
ANOTHER SCANDAL: Searches focused on several riders, including Dayer Quintana, a source said, while the two being held were reportedly a doctor and physiotherapist French police on Monday detained two people as part of an investigation into suspected doping in the Arkea-Samsic team at this year’s Tour de France, prosecutors announced. The probe is the first significant one in several years for the repeatedly scandal-hit tour, which on Sunday wrapped up in Paris with a victory for 21-year-old Tadej Pogacar, who became the youngest winner in more than a century. Prosecutor Dominique Laurens in Marseille said in a statement that an investigation was being carried out into a “small part” of France-based Arkea-Samsic, without specifying who had been placed in custody. Laurens added that the two
‘FUN TIME’: Denver’s Nikola Jokic said that his team would not accept that anyone else is better than them and the opposition need to play much better than they do Just about everyone had LA versus LA written in for the NBA’s Western Conference finals, but the resilient Denver Nuggets have crashed the party. Behind Jamal Murray and Nikola Jokic, the Nuggets advanced to the conference finals for the first time since 2009 to face LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers. Game 1 is scheduled to be played tomorrow. This was no ordinary road. The Nuggets fell behind 3-1 in their first-round series against the Utah Jazz before bouncing back with three straight victories. Then they went down 3-1 to the Los Angeles Clippers in the second round before winning in Game 7