All Italian soccer matches were suspended on Friday after a 38-year-old policeman was killed when violence flared during and after the Serie A match between bitter Sicilian rivals Catania and Palermo.
The policeman was named as Filippo Raciti, and another officer was believed to be seriously injured.
Hundreds of people were hurt as fighting continued after the game.
As a result of the tragedy, the Italian soccer federation announced that all matches, professional and amateur, scheduled for this weekend would be canceled and that the suspension was likely to be indefinite.
Next week's friendly international between Italy, the World Cup winners, and Romania in Siena was also called off.
The federation's chief Luca Pancalli said that the suspension of the matches could last longer and the matter will be discussed next week.
"One day is not sufficient," said Pancalli. "Without drastic measures, we can't play again."
"We will immediately set up a commission to discuss the situation between sport and politics. It's not possible to carry on like this. If this is football, then I'm stopping everything," he said.
He said that he would meet with Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi tomorrow.
"Football in Italy must stop and take stock. Enough is enough," said Pancalli.
"I cannot find the words to describe a 38-year-old man who lost his life in such a way. All the football authorities I spoke to agreed that we had to stop everything. This is completely unacceptable," he said.
Sergio Campana, the head of the players association in Italy, demanded a longer suspension.
"I think that faced with these events, football should stop for a year and see if we can change our whole approach to sport," he said.
Raciti was hit in the face by a homemade bomb thrown from the crowd.
He died at the Garibaldi Hospital in Catania.
Palermo won the game 2-1 but the highly-charged Sicilian derby was overshadowed by the violence.
Later Friday, nine Catania fans including four minors, were arrested, reported the ANSA news agency.
However, none were believed to be in connection with the death of Raciti.
Friday's game had already been brought forward because of fears over public safety. But even an early kick-off did nothing to quell the unrest.
The game was suspended after an hour when tear gas, used by police to halt the trouble, drifted onto the field.
Adding to the problems was the fact that Palermo supporters were unable to get into the Stadio Massimino until the second half.
Palermo took the lead after 55 minutes when Andrea Caracciolo scored from a pass from Mark Bresciano.
The goal coincided with the arrival of the Palermo fans. It was also the cue for the trouble to start.
Reports claimed that fireworks were lobbed into the area where the Palermo supporters were sitting. They fought back and tear gas made it impossible for play to continue.
The two teams fled the pitch for the dressing room with the game suspended for 30 minutes.
Within 60 seconds of the restart, Catania equalized through Fabio Caserta.
Palermo's winning goal in the 83rd minute was controversial with David di Michele finding the back of the net although Catania claimed the ball came off the striker's arm.
Catania president Antonio Pulvirenti blamed Palermo fans for the violence.
"Clearly the incidents were provoked by the Palermo fans when they entered the stadium," he said.
"Before then, nothing had happened, but they started causing trouble and, as the images show, threw tear gas on to the pitch," he added.
Ironically, Friday's match was preceded by a minute's silence in memory of the director of an amateur team who died the previous Saturday following crowd trouble at the end of a match against their local rivals.
Prodi warned that football in the country needed radical surgery if it was to stop the violence.
"My first thoughts are for the people affected by the violence and their families," said Prodi, who backed the decision by the Italian football authorities to call off matches.
"It is the right signal and is necessary to avoid the degeneration of the sport," he said.
STANDINGS: The Uni-President Lions’ victory pushed the CTBC Brothers to first place after they won their third straight game, beating the Fubon Guardians 6-3 The big bats of the Uni-President Lions were on fire in the CPBL yesterday as they crushed the Rakuten Monkeys 21-5 in Taoyuan, with outfielder Lin An-ko driving in seven runs on five hits and two homers. The result enabled the CTBC Brothers to take the No. 1 spot after they beat the Fubon Guardians 6-3. It was a highlight reel for the Taiwanese-Argentinian star Lin, who drilled two homers amid a heated home-run race between himself, now on 16 for the season, and Lions teammate Su Chih-chieh, who is on 18. Lin performed outstandingly, collecting five hits at six at-bats to drive
GERMAN LEADER: Liverpool’s 19th English title, one behind Manchester United’s record of 20, owes much to the transformational impact of coach Juergen Klopp Liverpool on Thursday ended a 30-year wait for the English title as they were crowned Premier League champions, triggering jubilant scenes as fans ignored social distancing measures to celebrate uproariously. Juergen Klopp’s men sealed a 19th league title with a record seven games remaining after Chelsea’s 2-1 defeat of second-placed Manchester City left the defending champions an unbridgeable 23 points adrift. Liverpool’s first English title since 1989-1990 — delayed by the COVID-19 suspension — earns them their maiden trophy in the Premier League, which was introduced in 1992-1993 and has been won 13 times by their archrivals Manchester United. Klopp was in tears
WOLFSBURG BEATEN: Bayern striker Robert Lewandowski scored from a penalty, his 34th league goal this season, finishing as the top Bundesliga scorer for the fifth time Werder Bremen gave themselves hope of avoiding relegation from the Bundesliga by thrashing Cologne 6-1 to grab a playoff place on the last day of the season, while champions Bayern Munich routed VfL Wolfsburg before lifting the trophy on Saturday. Japan striker Yuya Osako scored twice as Bremen stole the lifeline of the relegation/promotion playoff place from Fortuna Duesseldorf, who lost 3-0 against Union Berlin and were relegated with SC Paderborn, finishing one point behind Bremen. “We put in a great performance under pressure, but we are aware that we haven’t achieved anything — in the relegation playoff, the emotions will be
Alexis Lafreniere was supposed to walk on stage on Friday night in Montreal as the top pick in the NHL draft. After the COVID-19 pandemic paused the hockey season and postponed that possibility, Lafreniere was supposed to find out Friday night where he would be going when the league held its draft lottery. Instead, he must wait a little bit longer. Chaos reigned at the NHL draft lottery, with the No. 1 pick still up for grabs in a second lottery drawing among the eight teams that lose in the qualifying round of the playoffs — if play resumes. “We all knew