Skipper Marco Bortolami firmly believes Italy can upset holders France in their opening match of the Six Nations in Rome today.
The Italy captain insists the Azzurri are much stronger this year with their much-criticized backs finally beginning to match the quality of their powerful forwards.
"Our forward play has always been our main strength but our backs have improved a lot, and that has resulted in a better-balanced team," Bortolami said.
"I don't think the criticism of our backs has been particularly fair. It's just a question of experience," he said. "But they have matured with every game and that has made us into a more formidable unit."
"We don't feel inferior to any team in this championship, and if we can keep it tight and cut down the errors, I don't see why we can't beat France," he said.
Bortolami believes Pierre Berbizier has also played a big part in Italy's steady improvement.
"He has vast experience of playing top level rugby and we have benefitted greatly from that," Bortolami said of his coach who played 56 times for France at scrum-half.
"He is well respected, listens to what everybody has to say and has given us more belief in ourselves," Bortolami said.
Andrea Scanavacca was a surprise choice at fly-half for Italy, the 33-year-old having previously made just seven international appearances.
Argentina-born Ramiro Pez played there in all of Italy's five matches in last year's tournament but missed some crucial kicks, and Berbizier feels Scanavacca deserves his chance.
Full-back Roland De Marigny comes in for the injured David Bortolussi for the Italians.
France coach Bernard Laporte has selected the 28th different halfback partnership of his eight-year reign with fly-half David Skrela partnering Pierre Mignoni.
Skrela earns only his second cap because first choice Frederic Michalak is injured.
Mignoni, who has started just eight of his previous 17 Tests, gets the nod ahead over the more experienced Dmitri Yachvili.
KEY GOAL: Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei is now free to focus on taking her fourth doubles title of the year with Barbora Strycova; they are due to face Nao Hibino and Makoto Ninomiya Taiwanese No. 1 Hsieh Su-wei on Monday returned to the court for the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic shut down the WTA Tour, falling to a 6-3, 6-1 defeat to US Open quarter-finalist Elise Mertens, who made a solid transition from the hard courts in New York to the clay at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. “I’m not sure how well I adapted, to be honest,” Mertens told the WTA Web site. “I just feel like I might still be struggling a little. It was also [Hsieh’s] first match of the week, so that was a bit of an
‘GREAT EVENING‘: In the women’s singles in Rome, Simona Halep and Karolina Pliskova advanced, while Rafael Nadal swept into the quarters in the men’s singles Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Friday had to dig deep to advance to the semi-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. The top seeds, who did not drop a game in their opening match on the clay courts at the Foro Italico, battled to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 victory over sixth seeds Veronika Kudermetova and Katerina Siniakova in 1 hour, 39 minutes. The reigning Wimbledon champions saved nine of 11 break points and converted three of eight, winning 56 percent of points on their second serve and sending down two aces
‘FUN TIME’: Denver’s Nikola Jokic said that his team would not accept that anyone else is better than them and the opposition need to play much better than they do Just about everyone had LA versus LA written in for the NBA’s Western Conference finals, but the resilient Denver Nuggets have crashed the party. Behind Jamal Murray and Nikola Jokic, the Nuggets advanced to the conference finals for the first time since 2009 to face LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers. Game 1 is scheduled to be played tomorrow. This was no ordinary road. The Nuggets fell behind 3-1 in their first-round series against the Utah Jazz before bouncing back with three straight victories. Then they went down 3-1 to the Los Angeles Clippers in the second round before winning in Game 7
Neymar on Sunday claimed that he had been the victim of racism as he was one of five players sent off in a mass brawl at the end of Olympique de Marseille’s 1-0 win over Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain. PSG’s Brazilian star appeared to accuse Alvaro Gonzalez of calling him a “monkey” in a series of furious tweets after he was sent off in stoppage-time for slapping the Marseille defender on the back of the head. “Look at the racism. That’s why I hit him,” Neymar, who was returning from COVID-19 quarantine, said as he left the pitch. “The only regret I