Thu, Jan 18, 2007 - Page 19 News List

Viduka double sinks courageous Hull

TENSE FINISH The Premiership side were made to sweat by their Championship opponents and needed two goals from their want-away striker to settle the tie


Manchester City's Darius Vassell scores against Sheffield Wednesday during their FA Cup match at The City of Manchester Stadium, Manchester, on Tuesday.


Australia international Mark Viduka scored twice as Middlesbrough advanced into the fourth round of the FA Cup with a nervy 4-3 third round replay win on Tuesday against Hull, struggling at the foot of the second-tier Championship.

Debutant Seb Hines put the Premiership side ahead at the Riverside Stadium before Mark Viduka and a Yakubu penalty seemingly put the game beyond the visitors.

However, Andy Dawson pulled one back and Jon Parkin made it 3-2 with a penalty after Abel Xavier's foul on Stephen McPhee.

Two minutes later Viduka, who is out of contract at the end of the season and could leave the north-east club during this month's transfer window, was on target again.

But with 21 minutes left Dawson scored again to set up a tense finish but Boro's inexperienced defense held on.

In the other replay involving a Premiership side, Manchester City edged an entertaining match against Championship visitors Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 to set up a home clash with Southampton.

Both sides had plenty of chances before the deadlock was broken just before half-time.

City's Stephen Ireland netted from close range to give the home side the lead at Eastlands but Lee Bullen drew Wednesday level with a fine header early in the second period.

But barely five minutes later England striker Darius Vassell restored City's lead and Pearce's men just did enough to prevent the match going into extra-time.

Elsewhere Wolves beat Oldham 2-0 to set up a home derby with Midlands rivals West Brom. Darren Potter's long-range strike 10 minutes into the second half helped Wolves on the way before Craig Davies added a second.

League One promotion-chasers Bristol City will travel to Middlesbrough after a 2-0 win away to Championship side Coventry.

Scott Murray made the breakthrough for the visitors at the Ricoh Arena, scoring in the 39th minute from outside the area after Enoch Showunmi's pass

Showunmi went from provider to scorer after the interval with a header.

Southend will face either Tottenham or Cardiff after a 2-0 win at Barnsley.

Kevin Maher's stunning 25-yard strike gave the Shrimpers the early lead at Oakwell before Lee Bradbury's second-half effort sealed victory.

Championship side Ipswich booked a home tie against League One Swansea after Matthew Richards's 84th minute goal secured a 1-0 win against visitors Chester at Portman Road.

Plymouth, also of the Championship, came from behind to beat managerless Peterborough 2-1 and will meet Barnet at Underhill in the fourth round.

Luton's third round replay against Queens Park Rangers was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Meanwhile in Scotland, lowly St Mirren fought back from two goals down before bowing out of their re-arranged Scottish FA Cup third round tie 3-2 at Dundee United to a late winner from David Robertson.

The match was postponed on Jan. 6 after a flu bug swept United.

Barry Robson gave United a first half lead with a 31st minute free kick and they eased 2-0 ahead with a Garry Kenneth goal in the opening minute of the second half.

Saints surged back with a Richard Brittain penalty in 76 minutes and John Sutton levelled five minutes later with a low shot into the bottom left hand corner.

Robertson secured United's victory after a late Saints blunder to earn a fourth round tie at Inverness Caledonian Thistle on Feb. 3.

This story has been viewed 2164 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top