Suzuki extends streak
Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki pinch hit in the eighth inning of Friday's 3-0 win over the Los Angeles Angels and stayed in to play right field, appearing in his 361st consecutive game dating to 2004. Suzuki wasn't in the starting lineup and Mariners manager Mike Hargrove said before the game that the hardworking right fielder could use some rest. Before Friday night's game, the Mariners' leadoff hitter was batting .324 and had a major league-high 168 hits this season. His string of 360 games, which includes 209 starts, is a club record, surpassing Edgar Martinez's string of 293 in 1994-96.
Mourning re-signs with Heat
Seven-time All-Star Alonzo Mourning re-signed with the NBA champion Miami Heat on Friday. "I'm very excited about re-signing with the Heat," Mourning said. "I love this organization, the fans and the whole South Florida community, and I'm happy to have the opportunity to join my teammates and defend our championship this season." Mourning, a two-time Defensive Player of the Year who has made it back from a kidney transplant, is the Heat's all-time leader in games played (491), blocked shots (1,405), free throws made (2,328) and free throws attempted (3,512). He also ranks second in 11 categories, including points (8,649) and rebounds (4,364).
Seau joins Patriots
The New England Patriots signed free agent linebacker Junior Seau on Friday, just four days after the 12-time Pro Bowler announced his retirement. Seau, 37, held an emotional farewell-to-the-NFL news conference on Monday in San Diego. The 1.87m, 112kg linebacker had been injured for most of the past two seasons with Miami and was released by the club in March after missing 17 games in two seasons. Seau appeared to have misgivings on Monday about retiring but said he was ready to leave the game. "I'm healthy, I can play, and there are teams out there that had interest, but they just didn't need [me]," he said. Seau was one of the NFL's top linebackers and helped the San Diego Chargers to their only Super Bowl appearance in 1995.
Camenzind case reopened
A Swiss court has ordered an investigative magistrate to reopen the doping case of former road cycling world champion Oscar Camenzind, according to the Swiss news magazine Facts. The magistrate, Martin Eichenberg, confirmed the report which appeared in Facts on Thursday. The weekly said the cantonal, or state, court of Schwyz ordered Eichenberg to reopen the case more than six months after a lower court had told him to suspend it. Camenzind tested positive for the performance-enhancing drug EPO before the 2004 Athens Olympics and withdrew from the event. He was dropped by his team, Phonak, and retired shortly afterward.
Totti to play on
Francesco Totti said on Friday that he wants to keep playing international soccer despite hinting at retirement after Italy lifted the World Cup last month. "I am available to play for the national team again," Totti was reported by the ANSA news agency as telling new coach Roberto Donadoni. "I thought long and hard after the World Cup and I am ready to come back, but first I want to recover completely from the injury I suffered in February." The 30-year-old Roma star said after the World Cup final win over France that it was "50-50" whether or not he would carry on after his performances in Germany were hampered by an ankle injury.