Wie overcome by heat
Michelle Wie was taken to a hospital after withdrawing from the John Deere Classic with nine holes left on Friday, overcome by the conditions on a hot, humid afternoon, and left the course in an ambulance, getting fluids intravenously. "Michelle was diagnosed with heat exhaustion and is now resting and in very good spirits," Wie's agent, Ross Berlin, said in a statement. Wie was released on Friday night, said Tammy Stone, a nursing supervisor at the Genesis Medical Center, Illinios campus. Wie walked off the ninth hole on her own, but after talking with her parents said she couldn't play anymore. She then was taken to the course medical trailer, where she was treated for about 30 minutes.
Big Phil extends contract
Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari extended his contract through the 2008 European Championship, the country's soccer federation said late on Friday. "Both parties have agreed to renew the contract for a further two years. The new contract is effective from Aug. 1 and extends to 31 July 2008," the Portuguese soccer federation said in a statement on its Web site. Scolari, a Brazilian, coached Portugal to fourth-place at the World Cup in Germany earlier this month and runner-up in the 2004 European Championship. The 57-year-old also led Brazil to its fifth World Cup title in 2002.
Ruud set to leave United
Ruud van Nistelrooy is on his way out of Manchester United. Manager Alex Ferguson said on Friday that the Dutch striker and prolific goalscorer had asked to leave the Reds. Now United seems certain to let him go as long as the price is right. "I am waiting for Manchester United chief executive David Gill to fill me in but Ruud van Nistelrooy has asked to leave the club," the manager told the club's TV channel, MUTV, on Friday. After a successful spell in which he scored more than 150 goals for the Reds, Van Nistelrooy's form slumped in the final few months of the season. He was furious after being left on the bench for the 4-0 victory over Wigan in the League Cup final on Feb. 26.
Former champ makes bail
Former welterweight champion Marlon Starling has been charged with failing to pay support for his three children. The 47-year-old Starling was released on bail on Friday after being arrested in Southington on Thursday night. State Attorney General Richard Blumenthal said Starling owes more than US$30,000 in back child support payments and interest. In March 2002, he was ordered to pay US$83 a week in support. An arrest warrant was issued for Starling in September last year because he failed to appear in court on the child support allegations. During a 12-year career in which he earned more than US$2 million in prize money, Starling was 45-7-1 with 27 knockouts. The two-time champ retired after losing the WBC welterweight title to Maurice Blocker on a split decision Aug. 19, 1990.
Di Canio moves again
Veteran striker Paolo di Canio will leave Lazio and play for Italian fourth division team Cisco Rome, it was announced on Friday. "To have in our set-up a talented player like Di Canio is really extraordinary," said Pietro Leonardi, the vice-president of Cisco Rome. Di Canio, 38, whose colorful career has been dogged by controversy, began his career with Lazio at the end of the 1980s. He has since played for Juventus, AC Milan, Celtic, Sheffield Wednesday, West Ham and Charlton. He returned to Lazio two seasons ago and scored 11 goals in 50 matches.