Seeded Spaniards Tommy Robredo and Juan Carlos Ferrero were extended to three sets in their opening-round matches at the Swedish Open on Monday.
Second-seeded Robredo rallied to beat Gilles Simon of France 4-6, 6-1, 6-4; while eighth-seeded Ferrero defeated Swedish wild card Ervin Eleskovic 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.
Later, top-seeded Nikolay Davydenko of Russia beat Spain's Alberto Martin 6-4, 6-1.
Robredo has reached the semifinals at the clay-court Swedish Open three times. In May, he won the Hamburg Masters.
Ferrero, a former world No. 1, was up a set and 2-0. But the 579th-ranked, 19-year-old Eleskovic won six games to one to force a decider.
Eleskovic doubled-faulted three times when trailing 3-4 in the third set for Ferrero's break.
In other first-round matches, Robin Soderling of Sweden ousted Boris Pashanski of Serbia 6-2, 6-3; and Oliver Marach of Austria topped Filip Prpic of Sweden 6-3, 6-7 (2), 6-2.
Two-time French champion and defending Swedish Open champion Rafael Nadal withdrew from the tournament last week. The No. 2-ranked Spaniard, who lost Sunday's Wimbledon final to Roger Federer, has won a record 60 matches on clay.
Top-seeded Ivan Ljubicic made a comfortable switch from grass to clay in beating Spanish veteran Albert Portas 6-3, 7-6 (5) in his Swiss Open first-round match on Monday.
Coming off his best run at Wimbledon -- three rounds -- Ljubicic was satisfied with the ease of his return to clay. He broke Portas at 4-3 in the first set, and made 10 aces.
"Roland Garros was not a while ago, it was just a few weeks back, and I still have the [clay-court] game," he said.
"I reached the semifinals at the French Open so it's given me huge confidence, and I feel really comfortable on this surface," he said.
Next up for the world No. 4 was 341st-ranked Marco Chiudinelli of Switzerland, who defeated Davide Sanguinetti of Italy 6-3, 6-2, winning the last five games.
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
Uncertainty grips next year’s postponed Tokyo Olympic Games: Will there be fans or empty stadiums in 14 months? How will thousands of athletes, staff members and technical officials travel, be housed and stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic? And the Tokyo Games are not the only event. China, where COVID-19 was first detected, is to hold three mega-sports events in the year after the Tokyo Olympics are set to close. The World University Games in Chengdu, China, are to open, with up to 8,000 athletes, only 10 days after the Tokyo Games close. Next come the Beijing Winter Olympics beginning on Feb. 4, 2022,
When South Korea’s domestic women’s golf tour held its premier event last week — without spectators because of the COVID-19 pandemic — no fewer than three of the world’s top 10 players took part. The country of 52 million people has a disproportionate share of the women’s world golf rankings, providing eight of the current top 20. In a demonstration of their prominence, South Korean women have won at least one major every season since 2010, with coronavirus cancellations perhaps the biggest threat to their run this year. The phenomenon, players and commentators have said, results from driven parents, intense training, a highly
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I