Wed, Jul 12, 2006 - Page 18 News List

Sports Briefs

AGENCIES

■ Soccer
Striker banned over cocaine

Wolverhampton striker Chris Cornes was banned for six months on Monday after testing positive for cocaine. The 19-year-old striker, who was randomly tested by the Football Association at training in February, denies taking the drug and has appealed to the FA. "We were extremely disappointed to learn that one of our players had tested positive for a banned substance," Wolves chief executive Jez Moxley said. Cornes' ban was backdated to April 13, the date when the League Championship team provisionally suspended him. "His continued employment with the club will be discussed at a scheduled board meeting ... and with football management and the Professional Footballers' Association," a statement on Wolves' Web site said.

■ Formula One

McLaren replaces Montoya

McLaren-Mercedes will replace Juan Pablo Montoya with their test driver Pedro de la Rosa, effective immediately, the Anglo-German Formula One team announced yesterday. The Spaniard De la Rosa will become the partner of Kimi Raikkonen at McLaren at the weekend French Grand Prix. The move comes after Montoya said on Sunday that he has reached an agreement to switch into the NASCAR series next year. "We have agreed that with so many things happening in Juan Pablo's life right now, he should take some time out of the car and prepare professionally and personally for the future," McLaren boss Ron Dennis said. Montoya said: "I have enjoyed most of my time in Formula 1 and I'm grateful for this opportunity to settle my personal life and concentrate on my future career." De La Rosa was an F1 driver for Arrows and Jaguar in 1999-2002 before becoming test driver for McLaren. He replaced then injured Montoya at the Bahrain GP last year, in which he finished fifth and set the fastest race lap. "I know the MP4-21 [car] better than anyone else and I'm confident that I can achieve important World Championship points for the team," de la Rosa said.

■ Soccer

Deschamps inks Juve deal

Didier Deschamps signed a two-year contract on Monday to coach Juventus, which faces demotion and being stripped of its last two Serie A titles in the Italian match-fixing scandal. The former Juventus midfielder, who captained France to the 1998 World Cup title, replaces Fabio Capello after his resignation last week to coach Real Madrid. In June, Juventus officials met with Deschamps, who said he was interested in coaching the Turin club even if it is demoted. The Italian soccer federation's sports trial ended last week with AC Milan, Fiorentina, Lazio and 25 soccer officials also facing charges. Verdicts are expected this week.

This story has been viewed 4117 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top