Tue, Jan 10, 2006 - Page 19 News List

Albion fends off Devils

EUROPEAN FOOTBALL Manchester United was restrained by lowly Burton Albion in FA Cup action, forcing the teams to face off again at Old Trafford


Atletico de Madrid's Ibagaza, left, vies for the ball with Valencia's Vicente during their match at Vicente Calderon Stadium in Madrid on Sunday. The match ended 0-0.


Non-league Burton Albion drew 0-0 with mighty Manchester United in the FA Cup on Sunday, the second season in a row the record 11-time winner has been held by a semi-pro team.

On a day of unexpected results, League Championship Leicester came from 2-0 down to oust Tottenham 3-2 thanks to an injury time winner, and League Two Leyton Orient won 2-1 at Fulham.

Although United fielded a backup side, Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo played for the last 30 minutes at the Pirelli Stadium against an Albion side 105 places below the Reds and which included a builder, a sports shop assistant and a physiotherapist.

Rooney had two shots saved by Albion goalkeeper Saul Deeney, who also blocked a goalbound drive from Ritchie Jones in injury time.

"Old Trafford here we come" cried Deeney, who has nine brothers, seven of them Manchester United fans.

Nigel Clough's Albion will go to 67,000-seat Old Trafford for a lucrative replay.

"It was a staggering performance," said Clough, whose father, Brian Clough, led Nottingham Forest to back-to-back European Cup triumphs in 1979 and 1980. "Facing Manchester United in a replay, it's absolutely superb for everyone."

Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson said he was relieved his team didn't lose.

"It's a sudden death tournament. With a difficult pitch, committed opponents, I think these things can happen," Ferguson said. "You can get shocks. Fortunately we didn't get a severe shock."

Last season, Manchester United drew 0-0 with non-league Exeter before winning the replay and going on to lose the final against Arsenal on penalties.

Fourth in the Premier League, Tottenham appeared to be coasting into the fourth round when Jermaine Jenas and Canadian Paul Stalteri put Martin Jol's team 2-0 up before halftime at Leicester.

But Elvis Hammond and Stephen Hughes hit back for the Foxes and, with the two sides seemingly going to a replay, Leicester hit the winner in the second minute of injury time.

Mark de Vries took a through ball from Joey Gudjohnsen and went on to stroke the ball past England goalkeeper Paul Robinson.

In a meeting of two London clubs never to have won any of English soccer's domestic titles, Craig Easton put Orient in front after 17 minutes at Fulham and Joe Keith added a second a minute before halftime.

Collins John scored for Fulham in the 50th, but squandered a chance to make it 2-2 when Orient goalkeeper Glyn Garner saved a penalty kick awarded for a foul on Luis Boa Morte.

Last in the Premier League, Sunderland made sure it would not be an upset victim when it cruised to a 3-0 victory over non-league Northwich Victoria with goals by Neill Collins, Dean Whitehead and Anthony Le Tallec. It was the first victory since September for Mick McCarthy's team.

Saturday's standout game came when Liverpool fought back from 3-1 down to win 5-3 at League Championship side Luton.

Defending champion Arsenal made it to the fourth round by beating Cardiff 2-1, and Chelsea edged League Two's Huddersfield 2-1 after Eidur Gudjohnsen scored eight minutes from the end.

However, Middlesbrough drew 1-1 with non-league Nuneaton, and Birmingham drew 0-0 with Torquay, next-to-last in League Two. Everton was held 1-1 by Millwall, which is next-to-last in the League Championship. West Bromwich Albion drew 1-1 with Reading, which is leading the League Championship by nine points.

This story has been viewed 4766 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top