Italian Giuseppe Guerini won Friday's 19th stage of the Tour de France, with overall leader Lance Armstrong riding safely behind in the main pack.
Guerini zoomed away from three other riders coming into Le Puy-en-Velay -- the finish of the 153.5km last stage before Saturday's final time trial.
That race against the clock should determine the top riders' standings ahead of Sunday's final ride into Paris, where Armstrong is expected to collect his seventh straight, and last, Tour title.
On Friday, Armstrong maintained his comfortable lead of 2 minutes, 46 seconds over Italian Ivan Basso, and 3:46 on Mickael Rasmussen from Denmark.
Armstrong was stronger than his main rivals in the first time trial at the start of the Tour on July 2 and is looking to make his mark again Saturday.
It offers him a last chance to win an individual stage this year. In all of his previous six winning Tours, he always won at least one stage.
But so far at this Tour, his only stage victory was a collective one in the team time trial with his Discovery Channel squad.
"Big day," said Armstrong of Saturday's stage. "I'll give it everything I have."
That time trial, over 55.5km in Saint-Etienne, will be the last of his storied career. The 33-year-old American is retiring at the finish line in Paris. He calculated Friday that he has just "five more hours in my career as a cyclist" and said that he's "not terribly sad about that."
Guerini, who rides for the German T-Mobile squad, covered Friday's hilly route from Issoire in 3 hours, 33 minutes and 4 seconds. Armstrong's group, which included Basso, Rasmussen and other leading riders, came in 4:31 later.
Guerini beat Sandy Casar of France, Franco Pellizotti of Italy and Spain's Oscar Pereiro. Those three riders failed to react when Guerini sprinted away from them with a little more than 1km to go.
The stage win was the second of Guerini's Tour career. In his first, up the legendary Alpine climb to the Alpe d'Huez ski station in 1999, he recovered and won after smashing into a fan who was trying to get a close-up photograph of him from the middle of the road. Guerini fell to the ground. The spectator picked him up and pushed him on his way.
"This was less dangerous than L'Alpe d'Huez," the Italian said of his win at Le Puy-en-Velay in the Massif central mountains.
A professional soccer team in South Korea apologized after “mannequins” used as substitute fans during a match on Sunday turned out to be sex dolls. K League 1 club Seoul said that the dolls, which had been dotted around stands off-limits to supporters due to the COVID-19 pandemic, had been ordered inadvertently after a “misunderstanding” with the supplier. Earlier this month, the K League became the first major soccer league to hold matches since the start of the pandemic, with the season’s opening game watched by a worldwide audience of fans, but Seoul’s attempt to bring a touch of realism to Sunday’s
It is known as the “May 19 Incident” and by some estimations it still haunts China’s national soccer team 35 years on. On May 19, 1985, China were stunned 2-1 at home by neighbors Hong Kong, then still under British rule, on one of the most infamous nights in Chinese soccer history. It is notorious not just because China’s hopes of qualifying for the FIFA World Cup for the first time ended in calamity. After the match, fans in Beijing rioted, smashing up vehicles, attacking buses, and threatening foreign journalists and diplomatic staff. It began an intense rivalry between the two teams which
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I