Reigning Australian Open champion Marat Safin advanced to the second round of the French Open yesterday along with former champions Justine Henin-Hardenne and Juan Carlos Ferrero.
Safin, the third seed from Russia, won 6-1, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 in just under two hours against Dutchman Raemon Sluiter and next faces Czech qualifier Lukas Dlouhy for a place in the third round.
The Russian did not have it all his own way against Sluiter, who took the second set, but he admitted that he has high hopes over the next two weeks of winning his second Grand Slam of the season.
"I prefer to be a dark horse. Like that I don't have any expectations and pressure on me," the 25-year-old former US Open champion said.
Henin-Hardenne, the 2003 women's champion, and Ferrero, winner of the men's title the same year, got their campaigns off to winning starts.
It was a confidence-booster for both players who suffered the ignominy of equalling the worst-ever records by defending champions when they fell in their second round matches last year.
Henin-Hardenne needed three sets to see off Spanish veteran Conchita Martinez 6-0, 4-6, 6-4 in 2hr 16min, while Ferrero, eased past Slovak Karol Beck 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 in 1hr 53min.
Beck, seeking his first win in Roland Garros was no match for Ferrero, seeded 32nd, who now faces either France's Fabrice Santoro or Jan Hernych for a place in the third round.
Henin-Hardenne, among the favorites for the Roland Garros title this year after putting her seven-month absence behind her to win three claycourt titles, achieved her seventh win in as many meetings with the 33-year-old former Wimbledon champion Martinez.
The 22-year-old Belgian coasted in the first set but Martinez, competing in her 18th Roland Garros, fought back in the second which lasted just under an hour, helped by six Henin-Hardenne double faults.
Despite being broken when serving for the match the Belgian held firm to take the tie on her first match point and advance to meet either Spaniard Virginia Ruano Pascual or Belarus qualifier Anastasiya Yakimova.
Russian sixth seed Svetlana Kuznetsova had an easy 6-1, 6-1 win over French wildcard Mathilde Johansson, and next faces Sweden's Sofia Arvidsson for a place in the third round.
The first Russian woman to win a grand-slam crown, Anastasia Myskina on Monday became the first French Open champion to lose in the opening round as she was beaten 6-4, 4-6, 6-0 by doughty Spaniard Maria Sanchez Lorenzo.
Where 12 months ago the elfin Myskina had triumphed in glorious Parisian sunshine, her brief defense fell to pieces on center court as storm clouds gathered overhead.
Drained by concerns over her mother's health, the Russian's heart simply was not in it and despite mustering a modicum of resistance in the second set she handed her 109th-ranked opponent the match with her 69th unforced error.
Since the tournament opened up to international competitors in 1925, only twice had competing champions failed to reach the second round. But neither Hungary's Jozsef Asboth in 1948 nor Spain's Manuel Santana in 1965 were beaten -- both handed their opponents walkovers.
"Tough times," Myskina said, tears glistening in her eyes. "It doesn't seem to take much to beat me these days, huh? I just have no confidence. I hit the ball and it just goes off the court... I have no explanation."
Myskina's defeat opened up the draw for 11th seed Venus Williams of the US.
DECREASED TENSION: The US players’ lawyers said that the soccer federation no longer disputes that the jobs of the women’s and men’s national teams require equal skill Women players suing the US Soccer Federation (USSF) said in in court documents filed on Tuesday that the federation has acknowledged that the jobs of male and female soccer players require equal skill. The language seemed to signal a decrease in tension between the parties after language in documents filed by the federation’s lawyers earlier last month provoked widespread outrage in saying that playing on the men’s national team required a higher level of skill based on speed and strength and carried greater responsibility. The fierce backlash — not only from the women players, but also from sponsors such as Coca-Cola —
A businessman who received millions of dollars for his work on Tokyo’s successful campaign to host the 2020 Olympic Games has said that he played a key role in securing the support of a former Olympics powerbroker suspected by French prosecutors of taking bribes to help Japan’s bid. Haruyuki Takahashi, a former executive at the advertising agency Dentsu, was paid US$8.2 million by the committee that spearheaded Tokyo’s bid for the 2020 Games, financial records showed. Takahashi said the work included lobbying International Olympic Committee (IOC) members such as Lamine Diack, the ex-Olympics powerbroker, and that he gave Diack gifts, including digital
Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are planning to play a charity golf match next month with Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, CNBC reported on Wednesday. CNBC, which cited an unnamed person familiar with the negotiations, said that the charity match would be held at an undisclosed location without fans and is being organized by the PGA Tour and AT&T’s WarnerMedia. The negotiations are still being finalized, but the match pitting 15-time major champion Woods and Manning against five-time major winner Mickelson and Brady could be aired on live TV and is unlikely to be featured on pay-per-view, CNBC said. “Discussions
WAIT AND SEE: The estimated cost of postponement started at US$2 billion and has kept rising, but the IOC has yet to say whether it would help pay for the extra expenses Postponing the Tokyo Olympics to next year would make the event more costly for all parties, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) acknowledged on Thursday, although it offered few details on what the final bill might be. Four directors of the Olympic body held a conference call three days after Tokyo’s new dates were finalized, with the Games pushed back to July 23 to Aug. 8 next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. While the new dates cleared up any uncertainty about the event’s future, there are still plenty of question marks as the committee begins to work with Tokyo organizers and the